Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new to this site, but very grateful that I ran across it. I have felt for some time that I needed to take this step. My father was an alcoholic that died of liver disease 10 years after he had stopped drinking. I know it will be difficult because alcohol seeems to be a part of all our social events, ect. Is it proper to ask my spouse to quit as well? I am here looking for help/answers, so I appreciate any responses. thank you!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome bj3656.
Wish you the best in recovery. An uncle of mine and a cousin have died due to alcohol\liver, both in their early 50s, both drank up to their death. Quite a reminder for me. Not sure about your spouse as I'm a loner. I know it would've made it even harder for me in early sobriety if there was alcohol in the house.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, I am also quite new here so I know how difficult is must be for you.

I am sure that you will get some great advice from people here who have a lot of experience/knowledge to share.

Take care
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR BJ3656....Congrats on making a great decision....I think it would be appropriate to tell your wife what you are doing.....As an alcoholic....Nobody could tell me to quit until I was ready.....God knows they tried.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Focus on you, but let your spouse know what you are doing. Find a program of recovery to work to help you on your sober journey. Each journey is personal.

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! SR has helped me save myself....these people really care (me too!)!

I am proud of you and wish you the best on your sobriety journey. Keep reading and posting. And I agree with the others - this is a personal journey. No one nor catastrophic adverse events could stop me from drinking until I had had enough and almost lost it all. I think that is pretty much a universal truth. Take care and best wishes.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. My spouse won't drink because she knows the battle I'm fighting. If you explain to your wife what you're trying to do, I'm sure she'll be understanding and not drink. I seriously doubt you'll have to ask her not to. Someone on here posted that at social events always have your own drink in your hand(non-alcoholic of course) and that will help keep people from offering you alcohol. Very good advice imo. Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome BJ -

I'm glad you found this site, too - it's been a huge part of my recovery. I hope your spouse is willing to be supportive. The main issue for me was not to keep alcohol in my house, especially during those first weeks/months.

Good to have you with us!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BJ3656

I agree with the others - tell your wife by all means - but remember this is your journey, not hers...if she chooses not to stop, it's not a dealbreaker for you...you'll always find support here

D
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hello, welcome to the sr
Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're happy to have you join the family. I drank all my life, and SR helped me find the courage to stop. The feeling that I was no longer alone really gave me hope. Everyone here understands and will give you amazing support.

Congratulations on your decision to change your life. You'll be avoiding so much misery.