Notices

Giving therapy a try

Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hope you had a great session! Hope you're in with someone you really like. :-) Therapy works wonders- it truly does.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

I just called Tuesday and got an appt for today. The office mgr said please show up early so we can do the paperwork.
It took less time to get there than I thought it would, so I was a half hour early, and no one was there.

I thought, "great, I knew it was too good to be true", LOL. Meaning, usually you don't get an appt that quickly.

I called their emergency number and here, the office mgr had had a heart attack of sorts the day before and that is why noone was there to open. It is a small private practice.

So they did show up then a few minutes before ten.

So far so good. My therapist is 70 and looks like she's in her fifties. I go back Tuesday.

The office mgr as it turned out did not have an actual heart attack, her heart is fine, it was more like a massive anxiety attack I guess.

I caught myself lying to her. I said, "no wait, I'm lying, why am I lying", and corrected my response to her. LOL.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hello friend, Wishing you the very best of luck
Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Best wishes on this stairs. I find therapy to be very helpful. We don't focus so much in the the drinking directly, but dig deep in the drivers. Includes really being honest with myself abut all of the stresses that trigger my drinks binges. Focus on then identifying why I don't manage these well and what I can do going forward to keep them from bottling up, building up on me, then exploding into a drinking binge. Been an amazing and eye opening experience once I committed and opened up to it, need to be honest with it for it to really work.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Thanks.

Had my 2nd appt and we finished up the questions.

Now my therapist will come up with a treatment plan to discuss next time.
I'm going twice a week.

It was great being truthful instead of lying because "it's none of their dam business", or "they don't need to know that".

I saw my daughter Sunday and she was floored when I said I was going to therapy, said she had prayed for that and was amazed considering my attitude toward it in the past.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

Well done! Twice a week is an intensive schedule, though I've gone that route from time to time myself. The good news is you should start feeling better that much quicker!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Right there with you and stairs & Yuvguy! Going after work today to get admitted into Intensive Out Patient rehab. Nervous and scared but ready to do it. Knowing others r going too will be a great support! Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

So, my treatment plan consists of keeping an NA meeting log where I list 3 things about each meeting whether good bad or indifferent, and continuing to support my daughter in her recovery, and doing the walks and yoga I am starting anyway. And to have a temp sponsor by October 1.

My therapist said, "I won't ask you to get anything signed". I said, "I wouldn't do it anyway, this is not court ordered."

I've been through that and unless a judge says so?!?!, Forget It.

This is what I did when I went to counseling for my DUI. Not what I am looking for. I should have done more research.

For one thing keeping a meeting log to talk about with someone outside the rooms is lame, even if it is confidential. I don't like the idea.

Though I can see how it may be useful, to look for patterns in my perception.

For another, telling me to do something I am already doing because I want to do it is not my idea of helping me. As in, going to family day every Sunday to see my daughter.

It's not a 12 step therapist I want. It's a behavioral therapist. So, now I am seeking one.

Tomorrow I'll keep my appt, and explain this to my therapist. Who is a lovely lady btw and we are almost neighbors, she lives on the other side of the park right by my house.

But having never done this before I did not realize it is basically just the exact same OP thing I did in 2009. When I called the insurance co. number on my card and mentioned alcoholism that's what they gave me, addiction counselors. Funny how that works.

DUH, stairs!!!

:rotfxko
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You go to NA stairs?....I thought it was AA. ...Sorry you're not thrilled with it. Find what you like.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
One Foot in Front of the Other

You'll get it squared away stairs...I've been very fortunate in terms of working with my therapists. Luck of the draw that I've clicked with all of them right from the start. But sometimes a little shopping around is in order. Trust your instincts and do what's best for yourself and your recovery.