Notices

it's getting bad again

Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi aNewEternity. I made promises to myself, too. I was never able to keep them, not once. Picking up a drink always led to an unpredictable outcome. It went on that way for many years, until I decided it wasn't worth the stress to try and control what I drank. I was drinking all day by then.

It doesn't sound like drinking is enjoyable for you - that it's causing you more misery than happiness. I hope you'll stop again & give this another shot. Please keep posting.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by aNewEternity View Post

there's a hole in the logic somewhere.
I found the hole could get a lot bigger. I stopped just before it ate me.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing you the best aNE..keep us updated

D
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
wishing you the best aNE..keep us updated

D
thanks -- I've had a good and clean week thus far... plan on going to an AA meeting (despite my opposition to aspects of the program, as I've documented on this site) on Saturday and a SMART meeting on Monday, in an attempt for 'fellowship' more than program. I have a decent enough idea of what I need to not do (not have a drink) but I'd enjoy meeting more people for entertainment, support, companionship, etc. and Bill W was onto something when he said alcoholics understand each other a bit better.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm a lawyer myself. I remember law school drinking was SO excessive! Every orientation, celebration, etc had booze. They sent us on a booze cruise the first week of school. It is SO ingrained in the legal world it is sick. Be careful!! Don't get sucked in like I did. I read recently that 20% of people in the legal profession have some kind of addiction. Personally, I think it's more like 40%. Our field is notorious for it. Also, quite a few lawyers (like myself) have had OUIs. Try to stay away from it. Don't end up like I did.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Lost, so sorry about the loss of your friend. It can all go to hell in a handbasket so quickly with this addiction.

aNE good job on a clean week, very good start!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bjames View Post
I'm a lawyer myself. I remember law school drinking was SO excessive! Every orientation, celebration, etc had booze. They sent us on a booze cruise the first week of school. It is SO ingrained in the legal world it is sick. Be careful!! Don't get sucked in like I did. I read recently that 20% of people in the legal profession have some kind of addiction. Personally, I think it's more like 40%. Our field is notorious for it. Also, quite a few lawyers (like myself) have had OUIs. Try to stay away from it. Don't end up like I did.
I'm a lawyer too. There is definitely a lot of drinking that goes on in law school and in the legal profession. Something that I still remember from my law school orientation about 15 years ago was that they had a speaker who was in AA and he talked about how drinking had nearly destroyed his career and his life but he had managed to get into recovery and get well. So, the awareness is out there and I think most schools have a lot of resources and people you can talk to if you need help.

Best of luck with your first year of law school!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by aNewEternity View Post
...plan on going to an AA meeting (despite my opposition to aspects of the program, as I've documented on this site)...in an attempt for 'fellowship' more than program.
I did just exactly that!!!! And it's still why I go. I felt the same exact way as you but went to AA anyway. It's turned out to be a lot more than I bargained for. I have a network of friends now. Go for it!!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hello buddy, nice to meet you
Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bjames View Post
are you familiar with Lawyers Helping Lawyers? some form of it is active in many states, incl. Massachusetts Massachusetts Lawyers Concerned For Lawyers