Notices

How to stop running with every idea?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

I have a beautiful 3 month old baby boy, a good job full of opportunity yet I get into these head spaces where its not enough I need to have a rockin creative career on the side and I'm really burning myself out and feel that I'm not completing my son's baby book, cooking, and forgetting important things at work because I'm doing such a good job of distracting myself.

How do I stop getting crazy? I can't do everything, how do I accept that? I want a new sponsor too but I don't want to start back at step 1. I was starting step 8. and I want to continue. I'm going to have a year on sept 12th and I really want to move forward and be content with what I have and stop trying to burn myself out.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers help me immensley in keeping my balance emotionally...

All my best as you continue your sober journey
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Truth^ I have def gotten away from praying and meetings. I have reworked my schedule so meetings cannot be avoided I just gotta get back into it. It's easy to forget how the crazy settles when you just do the next right thing aka meetings.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, you sound like me, I am always distracting myself by wanting to do new and different and additional things. I just try to focus on what I have in the here and now and be content. Meditation helps. Purposefully counting out or listing my blessings. Positive self-talk and self-imaging ("I am a person who concentrates on the task at hand. I can do this task in front of me very well." -- even if I don't feel it at the time, I start to believe it when I say it to myself!) Making to-do lists and actually checking things off, and coming up with tips and tricks to help me focus (i.e., put the timer on and work for one hour on a current project with no distractions. I've found the book "The Procrastinator's Handbook" to be helpful in this regard). I hope this helps. Best wishes.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveLikeGold6 View Post
Truth^ I have def gotten away from praying and meetings.
I haven't seen any good results from that. It's good to see you...Congrats to you on your time!...And your new addition!!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I try doing God's will ... not mine.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a beautiful 3 month old baby boy, a good job full of opportunity yet I get into these head spaces where its not enough I need to have a rockin creative career on the side and I'm really burning myself out and feel that I'm not completing my son's baby book, cooking, and forgetting important things at work because I'm doing such a good job of distracting myself.

How do I stop getting crazy? I can't do everything, how do I accept that? I want a new sponsor too but I don't want to start back at step 1. I was starting step 8. and I want to continue. I'm going to have a year on sept 12th and I really want to move forward and be content with what I have and stop trying to burn myself out.
I've learned when we place unrealistic expectations on ourselves/others it directly affects the level of our serenity...I don't know about you-but I need serenity in my program!! Maybe it's the need you feel for a better sponsor..
If you need a new sponsor-A good sponsor-it seems to me would let you continue where you are at.. But then again it took me 3 sponsors over a few months to find the one I have now. I couldn't move forward with them and this current one sees that I was ready for step 4... and FINALLY making some headway.. I'd start by getting some phone numbers of some of the ladies that have been working the program, who share amazing experience, strength and hope-and just start calling them and start asking questions-or talk about the current situations and you will either find amazing support, loving friend or a great new sponsor-and voice your concerns, say look, I've busted my butt to get to step 8 and I don't want to start over-and present yourself and your case-and if they are right for you-then it should go in your favor. But maybe she would require you to sit down and have a nice long chat to get to know you better and the seasoned sponsor would be able to see that you are truly at that step or not. best of wishes...
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

How do I stop getting crazy? how do I accept that?

I want ...... but I don't want .....and I want .......I really want .......I have to stop ......
Like those goofy Apple commercials say - "There's a step for that." (hint, it's step 3). Page 61 begins the lead-up to the 3rd step. On that page, it's suggested that there's a requirement we need to meet prior to being able to take the 3rd step. It's on the 3rd page down on this link: http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_bigbook_chapt5.pdf

.....if you'd like more help on applying the steps, I'd suggest posting some of your questions in the 12-step area. You'll get a lot more beneficial guidance and help there.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was much like that before I stopped drinking, believing that I had to accomplish everything, all at once. I totally burned myself out. For me, I had to look at myself and accept that I wasn't able to do everything. No one can. So, I sat with myself and figured out what was most important to me. I wrote down three things and I focused on those. I let go of everything else. "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle helped me so much with these issues.