Notices

Sober again after 3 year relapse

Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober again after 3 year relapse

Hi to all the good people at SR.
I joined this forum in 2009 and subsequently failed my third serious quit attempt. I say failed, but that is not strictly true because that failure set me on a path of spirituality and self discovery over the last 3 years culminating in this, my fourth attempt. I had my last drink on 9th May 2012 so that makes me just over 3 months sober.
This journey of mine to explore my consciousness and find myself has given me some invaluable tools that I did not have before. As well as learning to love and respect other people, I learned to love and respect myself and with that comes forgiveness. I also learned to be grateful for everything in my life and with that comes a positive outlook. I remember how critical and negative alcohol made me so I have decided that these emotions have no place in my life anymore.
I dont hate or resent my addiction because I am not sure I would have learned as much about myself without it, so I have forgiven myself for taking 25 years of drinking to finally work it all out.
I appreciate that I am still early into recovery but I have been here before and this is nothing like before because I never loved, forgave or respected myself before. So these are my new tools of battle. I think the odds are on me this time .

Much love and respect to you all.

Jason
Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jason, Great that you have been sober over 3 months and are in such a good place with your thoughts. Your post was inspiring to me, particularly about forgiving yourself for having taken so long to get where you are.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you - be proud of your achievement
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi from a fellow Glos person!

Congrats on being sober over 3 months I'm still working on the love/respect myself thing and on forgiving myself, but I'm getting there. Glad you've got to that point - it must be a very wonderful place to be in!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Jason:

What are you working as a program of recovery?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on your 3 months of recovery.

It sounds like you're doing well and I hope you keep reading and posting here.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Jason)) - Congratulations on 3 months!! Like you, I have found I don't really resent/regret my addiction. Okay, yes...it led to a lot of consequences, some I am still dealing with 5+ years later, some I will deal with forever.

On the other hand, I have learned so much and I am quite sure I would not be the person I am, today, had it not been for what I went through. I've had my ups and downs in recovery. Thing is, even the worst of the downs, my mind said "just get me to SR, I'll be okay".

I've been through 2 robberies, a pistol-whipping the 2nd one, loss of loved ones, now dealing with unemployment and living at home at the age of 50, but honestly? I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have hope of getting a job and my own place. I have peace of mind. Yes, I still have times where my brain says "wanna be NUMB" but I started at the beginning of my recovery...when those thoughts came up? I'd say "not an option..next" and "next" meant distract myself.

Not sure how long it took, but now I find myself at "next" without even realizing I had the "GET NUMB" feeling.

Recovery isn't always easy, but it's way better than when we were using. SR has been a huge help for me when I'm feeling low. I read a lot...stories of those who are still struggling or went back out. I don't miss that, I don't want that.

You are doing great..keep it up

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well all I can say is Welcome Back Home

I wouldnt change my 20 plus years of drinking and drugging either. I also wouldnt wish the end of it on my worst enemy.

You sound good, hope you stick around and keep posting the postivity that you have.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back Tallaxco,

My sobriety led me also on to the path of self discovery. You have a great and positive attitude.

All the best
love
CaiHong
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the lovely warm welcome. It is no nice to be sober again and back in charge of my life.

Much love and respect to you all.

Jason.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Great post - welcome back. Pleased you are kicking goals and getting to your true potential
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Jason, by the sound of your post I would have to agree. The odds really do seem to be in your favor. All the best to you.