Notices

Newbie and not really sure

Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie and not really sure

if i am an alcoholic but i do know i ready to stop drinking. no ones knows im a closet drinker.

drinking has caused major issues in one relationship i have but it hasn't affected any other relationships

how do i know if im an alcoholic and need to attend AA. since i don't think my issue is really bad, could this site be the support i need w/out meetings!

TIA
Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

another thing to add is , when i go a weak or so w/out a drink i don't get sick or have any withdrawal sickness. so, this leads me to think im really not an alcoholic
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Alcoholism has little to do with how much or how often you drink, it has to do with liking the effect and once we have a sip or one drink, we often don't stop. Physical dependence is a sign of long term drinking, not alcoholism.

Read Alcoholics Anonymous, it's online at silkworth.net.

There are several programs available to help you. For now, stop drinking. See a doctor as stopping cold turkey can shock your body and be lethal. Once you stop drinking, start working a program of recovery.

Glad you are here!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply. i really believe my last drink was last night. i just couldn't let the last bit of vodka go to waste, i kinda know i have a little problem

so going cold turkey is a bad idea?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We can't say whether you're an alcoholic or not. Only you can say that.
I'll ask one question.
When you start drinking, do you ever drink more than you mean to?
The question of whether you can quit when you decide you want to might be one you can't answer at the moment.
As for me, I was a binge drinker for years. I could go for maybe 3 to 4 weeks without a drink a while back. But when I started drinking... it was a case of getting as much down me as I could in the time available.
And then I went from being a binge drinker to a daily drinker...
And then I tried to quit and found I couldn't. That's why I'm here and in AA.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i always say i just wont to get tipsy and go a little overboard . so to answer your question, i often drink more than i mean to.

i drink about 4 times per week hard liquor

i think i know the answer, it just hard to say. im functional, and can work and everything else while drunk. so no one knows that ive been drinking.

i wonder do my friends and family know and are scared to confront me.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

really appreciate the replies guys
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you are not sure you have a problem with alcohol, why not try 100 days without alcohol? That will give your body, your brain, time to get over most of the residual effects of alcohol abuse and you would be in a clearer frame of mind to make your decision about it. I was not sure how long I was going to abstain from alcohol when I decided to give sobriety a try. By two months sober, I had a far better idea of the toll it was taking on my health, my mood, my productivity, attitude, so much I cannot even say. I also progressed to feeling extremely confident that I wanted to lead a life without alcohol.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome ts - I'm glad you found us. This is a great place to discuss your drinking habits & what they're doing to your life.

Sugarbear is right - it isn't how often you drink, but what it does to you when you do pick up. If unpredictable & dangerous things happen, then it's good you're considering kicking it out of your life. You've probably heard it said, "Alcoholism is a progressive disease". I never realized what that meant, until I found myself drinking all day, every day as an older person. I started out in my 20's, and it was all fun and exciting back then. I didn't know that over the years I was becoming dependent on it. Glad you are here - please keep posting and reading.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

THis is what the book Alcoholics Anonymous says about this:
"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely,; or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

Take a look at two things choice and control. Can you choose to quit for good and be successful in doing so on your own? And when you do drink, do you ever drink more than you intended? End up drunk on accident?

An alcoholic lacks choice and control. At times I could go periods without booze, but would always end up drunk no matter how firm my resolution to stop. On occasion I could tell myself I would only have x amount of drinks and hold to that decision, but more often than not I would drink more than I intended.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Auvers View Post
If you are not sure you have a problem with alcohol, why not try 100 days without alcohol? That will give your body, your brain, time to get over most of the residual effects of alcohol abuse and you would be in a clearer frame of mind to make your decision about it. I was not sure how long I was going to abstain from alcohol when I decided to give sobriety a try. By two months sober, I had a far better idea of the toll it was taking on my health, my mood, my productivity, attitude, so much I cannot even say. I also progressed to feeling extremely confident that I wanted to lead a life without alcohol.
Thanks a lot for that, it really got to me. Today is my Day 1.

ive done and said some pretty crappy things to my ex now roommate (that im still living with due to our money issue and lease stuff) due to drinking. we neve really drinked together , i would literally go into our closet drink, which would lead to really crazy behavior from uncontrollable tears or really bad anger towards him.

im really embarssed about the things ive said and did while drunk. i feel really abnormal, i cant believe im a drunk
Old 08-17-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Stopping cold turkey can put your body into shock. You were drinking vodka, that's pretty hardcore alcohol. See your doctor for a proper detox. Read about Alcoholics Anonymous and see if you can relate to anything in the first 164 pages. Specifically the first 43 pages. It's also on an audio version on silkworth.net

xa-speakers.org gives me hope

SMART, AVRT, Rational Recovery, SOS, Life Ring, Women for Sobriety are some programs you may want to read about.

I wish you well!

Love & hugs,
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
THis is what the book Alcoholics Anonymous says about this:
"If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely,; or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

Take a look at two things choice and control. Can you choose to quit for good and be successful in doing so on your own? And when you do drink, do you ever drink more than you intended? End up drunk on accident?

An alcoholic lacks choice and control. At times I could go periods without booze, but would always end up drunk no matter how firm my resolution to stop. On occasion I could tell myself I would only have x amount of drinks and hold to that decision, but more often than not I would drink more than I intended.
there i have it in plan view, i am an alcoholic. plain and simple. i find excuses to drink on a daily. drink because im hurt, i drink to celebrate being happy. i even drink to get the huge boost of energy i get when i drink to clean up or organize things.

shouldve ask myself wtf going on when the 100 proof voldka starting going down like water--no burn what so ever

tonight will be the 1st sporting event ive gonna to sober in a long time
Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Definitely sounds like stopping is a good idea. Don't forget alcoholism is progressive-so if you don't like where you are today, if you keep drinking it'll only get worse.

Good luck to you, keep checking in here. It's been a lifesaver for me and many, many, others.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tia

I always underplayed my drinking and made out like it wasn't that bad but really I had been covering it up for so long that I had almost convinced myself that. After coming here and going to AA I found I had a lot more in common with other alcoholics than I might have thought at first. AA isn't the only option though. Check out some of the other recovery methods too. I'm sure SR will be a big help to you as well x
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

Well you got good adivice . Just asking the question is a pretty good thought to give sobriety a shot. Try 30 days, then 60 ect. Its amazing what happens without the alcohol fogging up the brain.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Welcome to SR Tia

I always underplayed my drinking and made out like it wasn't that bad but really I had been covering it up for so long that I had almost convinced myself that. After coming here and going to AA I found I had a lot more in common with other alcoholics than I might have thought at first. AA isn't the only option though. Check out some of the other recovery methods too. I'm sure SR will be a big help to you as well x
Wow, this sounds like me. I've been covering up so long that my routine to get my vodka has become a natural part of my daily life. I started to plan what store to go to on which day of the week so people wouldn't think i was an alcoholic and got to know my face. I would budget my morning shots so I could have a productive start in the beginning of the day for work.

Last night, I went out to a sporting event and turned down drinks!!!! I didnt have a drank before I left home!!

I'm on Day 2
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

here's a little self-test that can maybe help you decide
About.com: http://www.aa.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=71
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
fgo

welcome ts.. your second sentence said it all.. "No one knows im a closet drinker." You do. So did I. It made me a person I didnt want to be. Good luck Stay, close to sr, read and learn. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If your drinking isn't that bad, you shouldn't be hiding it.