Notices

I kept my doctors appointment today

Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I kept my doctors appointment today

I went in to the doctors office a nervous wreck and I told her straight - I drink 6-12 drinks a day and times 2 on the weekend.

She wanted me to check in to full-time rehab for a month, that means leaving my job behind and everything. I couldn't agree to that. I asked her to let me try one more time on my own, and if I fail, I will fess up and go in to rehab. She appeared real concerned with that, but said OK.

She helped me find an AA near my home and I promised that I would go. She gave me a pill that helps with withdrawal and another pill that will make me sick if I try to drink.

I have to go back on Wednesday for an evaluation and they are going to draw some blood.

I went to the AA meeting like promised and there were two other people there. They did most all the talking, I just listened. They were very nice! I suppose I am going to have to think of something to say next week.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The nice thing about AA is you can listen, or you can speak, and people will respect your decision either way. When you're ready to talk, they'll give you so much support. You'll need support to make this change. Take all you can get.

True, it is a major commitment to go in for treatment for a full month. But it may be necessary. You'll know if it is. And if it is, do it. Because if you don't you may well lose everything anyway. People lose a lot when under the control of addiction.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iWillBSobr View Post
I went in to the doctors office a nervous wreck and I told her straight - I drink 6-12 drinks a day and times 2 on the weekend.

She wanted me to check in to full-time rehab for a month, that means leaving my job behind and everything. I couldn't agree to that. I asked her to let me try one more time on my own, and if I fail, I will fess up and go in to rehab. She appeared real concerned with that, but said OK.

She helped me find an AA near my home and I promised that I would go. She gave me a pill that helps with withdrawal and another pill that will make me sick if I try to drink.

I have to go back on Wednesday for an evaluation and they are going to draw some blood.

I went to the AA meeting like promised and there were two other people there. They did most all the talking, I just listened. They were very nice! I suppose I am going to have to think of something to say next week.
Hill Country Intergroup - Hotline (512) 444-0071 I would suggest you get to a lot of meetings.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

That is good that you were honest and had the courage to do that. Honesty, open-mindness, and willingness are good quality to have. Stay with the process and as suggested go to some more meetings, they will help! You are doing the right thing and keep posting! God bless!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There oughtto be plenty more meetings in Austin. Find some of them.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that you showed much courage to keep your appointment and to be honest with your doctor.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good start. When I was first sober, I went to many meetings. Often more than one a day. Are you planning to try some different meetings? While a meeting with two people can be great, it doesn't give you much opportunity to get phone numbers and meet a potential sponsor. Both really important to me in the begining.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you and your decision to get help. Very brave and honorable. It takes a lot to come to terms with this type of situation. Thank you for being here and sharing. Keep posting.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
There oughtto be plenty more meetings in Austin. Find some of them.
Agreed. Austin is packed with meetings. You could go to 3 meetings a day if you needed to go. I suggested aiming for more than just one per week.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your dr and are working on your recovery.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Always good to check in with the doc. My doc seemed a little concerned too with me. I told her that I no longer go to AA.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not in AA, but I would agree with the suggestions that you go to more than a meeting per week.

I find (especially in the early days) you have to do something every day to work on your sobriety. Meetings, reading, posting on SR... something daily to reinforce what you are trying to accomplish really helps.