Notices

day 4 can I really do this?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 can I really do this?

OK, it's day 4 and I've done really well so far. The withdrawal symptoms were mild and I feel good physically. I guess I'm just freaking out a little because I can't remember the last time I went 4 days without a drink. I want this so bad, but what happens if I fail? I've tried many times and many ways to stop drinking. I really hope this time is different. I just feel full of doubt today.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You won't fail! What are you doing differently this time? Well done on 4 days!!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no reason why you should fail if you give it your all, ca

If someone does falter tho I always advise them to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, look at what went wrong, and start again

Recovery is not a one time only pass fail degree

D
Old 08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am looking into AVRT. I had never even heard of it before coming here to SR. I'm walking in the evenings and want to start working out daily. Mostly, I'm trying to be kind to myself and forgiving of my shortcomings. I'm trying to get more involved with my sober friends. But I'm still afraid when life gets too stressful I'm going to turn back to what I know.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

not if you have other things to turn to ca

I think sometimes we do a disservice to people by painting addiction as some fearsome monster that will ambush us all sometime, and leave us helpless in its looming shadow....

That's simply not true

You, I, everyone has the power not to drink or use again.
It's our arm that raises the glass to our lips...or not.

It's simple...but not easy...which is where the recovery work and the finding support come in

The more you put into your recovery the more sure you can be of that recovery's ability to take whatever life throws at it IMO

D
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, you are right. I've. Been feeling like I'm going to be helpless to the addiction, but I've already proven to myself that I can go 4 days. It wont be easy but I have the power to do this. Thank you so much!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We do have the power to do this ca. I have been doubtful today too. Day 4 or 5 seems to be my 'eff it' days. Not gonna drink tonight because I am home with my kids (thank goodness) but I'll admit my 40 minute drive home was consumed by thoughts of drinking and self doubt. The little I know of AVRT helped so I am grateful for that. Walking in the evenings has helped too. We can do this! We CAN do this!! WE CAN DO THIS!!! Looking forward to the beautiful dawn of day 5 :-)
Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you shewanders. I relate to you so much. When I'm home with my kids its easier but routine things like cleaning house and watching TV, which I would normally do while drinking are really getting to me. Walking in the evenings helps me too. I plug in my audiobok and walk and lose myself in the story. I am looking forward to day5 as well, and hoping my nerves and doubts are better tomorrow. But you are right, WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

the early days are the hardest. i was stuck in a 4-5 day cycle for a long time. you do have the strength to break it. if i can break it, anyone can. focus on the road right in front of you and stay sober hour by hour and day by day. everyone has a day of sobriety in them. remember that you always have friends here who are rooting for you and believe in you. we believe in you because we've done it. believe in yourself! so many others do!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ca3726 View Post
Thank you shewanders. I relate to you so much. When I'm home with my kids its easier but routine things like cleaning house and watching TV, which I would normally do while drinking are really getting to me. Walking in the evenings helps me too. I plug in my audiobok and walk and lose myself in the story. I am looking forward to day5 as well, and hoping my nerves and doubts are better tomorrow. But you are right, WE CAN DO THIS!!!
No surprise but I TOTALLY get the mundane things being a trigger. I am trying to replace the 'drink' with hot tea or fizzy water. Usually I am tired in the evenings before I know it but it's still hard. We can focus on setting a good example and enjoy having a bit more patience (especially in the mornings right? LOL). Off to bed. See ya on day 5 CA :-).
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Routing for you.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ca3726 View Post

Well, I hope you can .....

It's my experience that alcoholics come in different ilks.
If you are an alcoholic like me you will need Alcoholics Anonymous (Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous")

Some alcoholics who set their mind to quitting will do it and get back to normal.
An alcoholic as described in the documents listed above who sets his mind to quitting will die trying.

No disrespect but you are going to have to decide which type you are and it will become undeniably apparent the longer you don't drink.

I wish you the best.

Bob R