Notices

AA and newcomers

Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA and newcomers

Went to another new meeting last night and overheard some people dissing another meeting. One of their complaints was that there were "lots of newcomers" there. I think this is the sixth time I've heard this said before/after meetings. Is it bad to have a lot of newcomers in a meeting because they/we haven't worked all the steps yet or something? What's the big deal?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

stoopid noobs :rotfxko
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I would've heard that at a meeting I would've never walked thru those doors again, that's so not right. Everyone started as a newbie, shame on them! I am so glad I found the beginner's meetings, don't hear any of that chatter lol
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am surprised by those comments. A lot of the people I have met in AA love seeing a lot of newcomers. I've also heard people say the beginner's meetings help them to remember what it was like.

One thing I did hear is that people come and go out of the program so often that there are some people that will not pay any attention to newcomers. The vast majority of people I have met love to see newcomers, it gives them the opportunity to welcome someone new and possibly help them along the way.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AACoffee View Post
Went to another new meeting last night and overheard some people dissing another meeting. One of their complaints was that there were "lots of newcomers" there. I think this is the sixth time I've heard this said before/after meetings. Is it bad to have a lot of newcomers in a meeting because they/we haven't worked all the steps yet or something? What's the big deal?
Did you ask your sponsor about this?
Why didn't you ask the people making the statements? I have no idea who was at your meeting or what went on.

Keep coming back and it'll all make sense down the line.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just ignore them, you know they don't make up the whole room so go and stick close to the ones who have worked the steps and had their spiritual awakening then you can do the same:-)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to meetings, but I love it when we get lots of Newcomers here. It's always so good to see someone arrive here, knowing they need support and appreciating what we have to offer.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it can be heartbreaking to see people come in and go out. I think that is why people in 12-step programs keep their distance from the newcomers until they have been around for a few weeks. It can be too painful to care about EVERYONE who comes through the door, when most of them will be gone soon.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Well, sometimes if there is a large wave of newcomers all at one time, it can be a little bit overwhelming for people. But we should try to embrace them, instead of hiding from them.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think a meeting with a lot of newcomers is great, as long as the meeting is not run by the newcomers.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
stoopid noobs :rotfxko
no....they are sick, just like people that call em stoopid noobs.

it is very good for ya to be asking about this.

i have been sober a lil while and like goin to newcomer meetings and it is important for us who have worked the steps and practice the principles to go to them and help the newcomers understand the program and help them learn and lead by example( i dont think calling a newcomer stoopid is teaching them anything other than the fact that some are sicker than others).

however, it is also important to go to step study, big book study,open speaker, and topic meetings.
i got a lil wrapped up early on stickin with newcomers. found out i cant use a newcomers thinkin to fix my thinkin, so i had to get around people with good, solid recvoery and i could only find that by getting to various meetings.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerFan View Post
I was always taught that if you don't like one meeting to try another, and I have found a nice collection of them that I enjoy very much. I guess its different for different people.
seek and ye shall find. good on ya!! been awesome reading yer posts, too, flyerfan.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Are you quite sure they were "dissing" anything that had to do with newcomers as well? I have heard this type of comment also and it has always been made very positively. It meant that there was lots of opportunity to be helpful and therefore have a good meeting. BY FAR the attitude about newcomers is very welcoming! Sorry if you’re in an area where AA is so different from everywhere I have ever attended.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a joke, ya know how on forums people call each other that and it's generally frowned upon?

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
no....they are sick, just like people that call em stoopid noobs.

it is very good for ya to be asking about this.

i have been sober a lil while and like goin to newcomer meetings and it is important for us who have worked the steps and practice the principles to go to them and help the newcomers understand the program and help them learn and lead by example( i dont think calling a newcomer stoopid is teaching them anything other than the fact that some are sicker than others).

however, it is also important to go to step study, big book study,open speaker, and topic meetings.
i got a lil wrapped up early on stickin with newcomers. found out i cant use a newcomers thinkin to fix my thinkin, so i had to get around people with good, solid recvoery and i could only find that by getting to various meetings.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I have been a member for over a year. And go to meetings daily still.

And every Sunday I still go to the same beginner meeting . Its a lead meeting and usually a first lead. I love it. I love the newcomer and much as anyone else. Specially when you see that look in their eye when "it" starts .

Keep going please, dont let them give you anything to worry about. You see we still are all human, and some people are good at giving adivice and not working those steps and the four absolutes in their lives.

Were sick people. Some stay sick.