Notices

Slipped Up

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped Up

More like fell flat on my face. Drank Saturday and Sunday. 750mL bottle of Vodka each night . . . oh yeah, with meds

This is great
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is a new day, melberholtz. How are you feeling?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you using anything other than will power to try and stay sober?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silly View Post
Today is a new day, melberholtz. How are you feeling?
I feel like S$&t. Hungover, numb, I just want today to be over so I feel better tomorrow. I hate this. I really do. Being hungover hurts and I know what will take the pain away instant (only to bring more tomorrow). It is like saying no to myself a million times. Insanity!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, don't be too hard on yourself. I slipped up a thousand times.
I joined here five years ago, and I've been sober a year and seven months. Thtat's how long it took me. I was miserable.

750ml is a lot to drink in a day. You may wish to visit your doctor and be totaly honest about your drinking. That may get it off your chest, and maybe some ideas on how to quit safely.

Best to you.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with ghostlight. If 750mL nightly is a lot and if it's pretty common for you, quitting cold turkey is dangerous. Can you see your doctor? She/He can make it much less dangerous AND much more comfortable during the first several days.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did see my doctor last week and he put me on some meds to get me through the tough days.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Mel.... Picking yourself up is never fun. And like most here it is something we did more than we wanted.

The big difference between those that still drink and those that have stayed stopped is simple. They picked themselves up that last time.

I picked myself up this morning. It was not easy. I had to come here and share I drank. But I did it. You did it.

Now, even through your pain and fog today, put together in your mind what needs to be done to complete today sober. Then do it again tomorrow. Get that "plan" together and keep at it. Learn and adjust.

And the fact you are hear means you want it. So you will get there. No doubt about it.

Ken
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you have talked to your dr.

Don't get stuck in the relapse. You need your energy to focus on today and staying sober. Get rid of any alcohol in the house. Try to make some simple changes in your day such as driving home a different way to avoid buying alcohol or shop at a different store. Know for sure that you can do this!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you have talked to your dr.

Get rid of any alcohol in the house.
Believe me . . its gone!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey melberholtz,

I can only echo what everybody else has said.

So, what's the plan now? Are you in any programs or groups to help you stop besides SR? If not, maybe think about it?

I suppose you need to know why you relapsed - if you don't already know. It's all about learning from mistakes, in life and addiction. You slipped up - it's gone now - focus on the future and don't beat yourself up too bad.

Take care
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melberholtz View Post
I did see my doctor last week and he put me on some meds to get me through the tough days.
I think this highlights the need for having a good plan for recovery Melberholtz. I think a lot of us think that if we could just get through those first few days then we'd be okay. Getting through the withdrawals and not drinking to make them go away is one thing (I'm guessing that's what the meds were to help with?), and actually staying stopped when you feel totally fine is another thing altogether.

Have you looked at anything to help you not drink? Read any books? Gone to AA? I have to admit I found it hard at first and I was tempted to let the confusion lead me back to drinking if it weren't for the fact that I knew if I started, I would not be sure I could stop again. I have had no choice but to put everything I have into staying sober. That is what has to come first for me.

Everyone's path is different. Find what you need to stay stopped and do it. Write lists, lots of them. Write down what you haven't tried yet and work your way through it.

I hope you find what you need to help you stop xxx
Old 08-06-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Learn from it, get back up, and put it in the rear view mirror.

I am glad it was 2 days, for me slipping and falling on my face lasted much much longer. Glad you came and posted , hope you start working a program to help you to live a life without alcohol.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

melberholtz, just try to take it easy now until your body get's rid of all the alcohol in your system. Then you can decide what to do then on recovery.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My plan is as follows. Today: Don't drink. No matter what. I feel like utter hell, but I won't pick up today. I just won't. I will not. Go to a meeting. Eat (God, Im hungry as hell too!). Tomorrow meeting. Im really trying to go to meetings and work the steps.