Notices

Tips for conquering "mind fog" in early days

Old 07-29-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for conquering "mind fog" in early days

Hi all,

Just after some tips that have helped out with the mind fog/dissociation anyone may have experienced in early recovery? I've been sober 55 days and it has lifted on occasion, but sets in more often than not. I was sober for a period of 6 months (last july-january) & it caused me to quit my job as it was affecting my performance. The last time I picked up, it was due to the dissociation being unbearable for about two days. I find that sleep generally helps, but not on that occasion.

My Psych has told me it's a defense mechanism and anxiety-based, but considering it's been cropping up in classes, with my boyfriend and with good friends, it's really doing my head in-these are situations i'm supposed to be enjoying (more often than not, there's no alcohol around)!

I have amazing clarity some days and a bit of peace that comes with that, but today has been pretty horrific I know i'm not unique in this experience, and also have a minor head injury which has refused to properly heal (across my right temporal/frontal lobe, which links in with many of the symptoms i'm experiencing). I'm waiting it out to see a neurosurgeon in a few weeks and am aware this *could* be causing it, but i'm also aware that I could be looking for excuses or reasons as to why many things seem to be suffering and NOT my early sobriety. It really does feel like i'm absolutely losing it at times...........

Thanks, all
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Quinne
Welcome

I think for most of us it's just a case of letting nature take it course - most of us really did a number on our body and mind..it takes time for them to heal. I don't really know of any way to make them heal faster?

Have faith tho - whether this is alcohol related, or whether this is due to your other injury, things are bound to get better.

Try and stay as relaxed & patient as you can

If for any reason you're not happy with the advice you're getting from your current Drs, why not get a seocnd opinion?

D
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!