Notices

Terrified.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Terrified.

I really want to stop using for good..

I'm just so scared that I'll start doing really well, and then I'll give up and lose everything. I hate being trapped in this vicious cycle..

My addiction looks for every excuse possible for me to get high. It lies to me and tells me I can use in moderation, and half of the time I believe it..

I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I'm ready to surrender. The fear of relapsing is holding me back from even trying to stay clean. I just got high last night, and I feel like **** emotionally today.

Well, at least one of my favorite NA meetings is today.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to that fear, Jake.
Which makes it even more courageous of you to keep getting up and trying again. Good that you are going to NA. Do you have a sponsor?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Jake.... I really understand what you are saying.

Being afraid of getting better is something I deal with everyday. I am so used to failing that it feels better. But we both know it's not better.

You have your horse and cart in the wrong order here.

You cannot relapse unless you try to not use. You cannot feel better unless you do not use.

Give it you all. If its not enough at first it does not mean it is never enough.

This is a process for some. It takes a while to come around to the idea that we cannot do certain things.

Your very normal in your thinking. But go to your meeting tonight. Don't use. Post hear about how your feelings.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((jake)) - I definitely did not enter recovery all gung ho about never using again. The few things I was sure of was: I was miserable after having had some clean time then relapsing and I wanted to "get clean for a while". In the back of my head, I still was not ready to say "for good".

I promised I'd give recovery everything I had for 6 months. If, at the end of that 6 months I was still miserable, well crack was everywhere. Crazy thing is, it didn't take 6 months before I was okay with the thought of never using again. I've been in recovery a little over 5 years and I don't miss those using days AT all.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

We are here for you and cheering you on. Glad to hear you hit the NA meetings. Keep it up.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand the fear too. I was afraid of succeeding.

What if...I actually stopped drinking and could live the life I wanted? A terrifying thought to me. I was quite comfortable with failure. I really had to take a leap of faith to stop drinking and begin recovery and I'm so glad I did.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was terrified too Jakec - of both failing again and succeeding.

The best thing I found to do was to surround myself with good people - and call on them when I needed help - before I drank/used.

It's all about making different decisions - thats what gets us further down the road...and that's what makes our recovery that little bit stronger the next time

It's a hard journey - but no harder than being in addiction IMO...and this time you have support

Use it Jake

D