Notices

I went to the store

Old 07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to the store

Usually when my boyfriend has work and I don't, I always go get some alcohol. Well I just went to the store I usually get it from, just got a sandwich and a coffee and walked on out. It was a struggle, I was trying to convince myself on the way over that I should just do it but I didn't! Hooray. I just need to find something to occupy myself with until my AA meeting tonight.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

congrats! just think, soon you'll go to the store, buy something and actually forget about the liquor department. it happens. you are making the right steps in the right directions. be careful about endangering yourself though. don't feel that you have to test your sobriety. it's a fragile thing in the beginning. glad you're making it to an AA meeting! keep moving forward. you've got the momentum going in the right direction. keep it going!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. It is a struggle at the beginning but it really does get easier. When the addictive voice kicks in its a real battle. Be really proud that you overcome it.

Love
CaiHong
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Pat yourself on the back and feel proud!!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice just keep doing what you're doing and before long you'll be posting about your one-year sober anniversary!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That takes a lot. The AV still keeps nagging me when I end up in front of the wrong fridge - not that I've gone to the liquor section, it's just that they sometimes keep the beer in the one next to the energy drinks - or when they have the spirits next to/behind the check out.
So give yourself a pat on the back
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Good for you. It is a struggle at the beginning but it really does get easier. When the addictive voice kicks in its a real battle. Be really proud that you overcome it.
Good for you for hanging tough, JMariano.

CaiHong mentions an interesting idea about the Addictive Voice. You know, the one that tells you that taking a swig would be great, the one that wants to know the alcohol content in that disgusting dessert wine, the one that says you can't do this. That voice.

If you can recognize that voice as being your AV, you can stare at it. Expose it. Have your AV spell it all out for you, beginning to end. Then tell it that you are in control, you have the responsibility for your actions. Then you can watch it go away. It will. Buh bye, AV.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Good for you. That's the right direction to be in! =)