Notices

looking for answers

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for answers

Hi,
My name is Peter. Ive been a binge drinker for a long time. I quit drinking about two years ago and had a modest withdrawal. Of course I started again after 6 months off. Ive been drinking heavily about 4 days a week and feel like crap the other 3. About 6 weeks ago I decided to get off the sauce again ....this time for good. It's been 45 days, while the intense acute anxiety has passed I am left with some strange symptoms that I never experienced before. Muscle twitches, weird skin sensations and horrible insomnia. Seems like a tiny amount of stress can provoke this. Has anyone had similar experiences? My doc said I was just anxious but these are some strange symptoms and are affecting my sanity. A little advice would be great.

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anxiety can cause very odd symptoms, which can make you feel a tad crazy. Is that all your doctor said? He didn't offer any suggestions? The only thing I have used successfully so far for anxiety is CBT. Not a short term solution but it really helps if you work on it. I hope some of this stuff passes for you soon x

Welcome to SR Peter and well done on 45 days!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

A doctor's exam is in order.

Yeah, I've had strange things occur with my body. I figure I couldn't numb my body with 6 or more beers a day for over 10 years (that was after I quit smoking crack) and the amount of weed I've smoked....my body is still adjusting to being more normal every day.

I can sleep well today (very well, too) and I don't have strange things happening with my body. I recovered from an auto accident on public transportation (daily whiplash on a bus while healing, it felt like) and I had lots of aches and pains in early sobriety. No wonder I was drinking a lot! Those have now disappeared (14 months of sobriety now).

Now, adult onset learning disabilities (forgetting words or thoughts, backwards typing or writing, reading is a bit off at times) seem to be real. I'm still giving myself time for more healing. And my new health insurance will start soon, so I am looking forward to finding out more....

See a doctor first. Stay stopped! You aren't numbing yourself any more! Things keep getting better!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your dr.

Anxiety can affect your body in so many ways. If you're still concerned despite what your dr said, you could always get a second opinion.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Hello. Welcome! I'm 45 days sober as well! I was having a lot of sleep problems in the beginning too, but i'm starting to fall back into regular sleep again. Wishing the best for you!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses. I guess I have to ride this out and hope this isn't a sign of some underlying problem that I was covering up by drinking. If anyone else has had the muscle twitches please let me know.

Tx!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

Twitches

I'm only into Day 3 but last night falling asleep my arm jerked so hard it woke me back up - twice. Mine seem to happen just as I've fallen asleep but not into a deep sleep yet. Not sure if that's from withdrawal as I'm so early into the process.

Are your twitches happening while you're awake? A year ago I had them for a few weeks during the day but I was still drinking. Doc said it could be restless muscle syndrome (most commonly felt in the legs) but I found it went away when I started excercising moderately. Maybe check with ur doc on that. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in treatment, I was informed of something called PAWS or Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. As your body and brain heal, many things of that nature can happen for six months to years after initial sobriety. I am obviously not a doctor; maybe you can do your own research on this and see if there are any natural remedies and of course talk to your dr. some more. Congrats on 45 days!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm fortunate in that my psych put me on a sleep aid almost immediately. kind of a perk of going to rehab. funny thing is my "sleep aid" is actually a bipolar med i used to take that knocked me out and made me a zombie. i would check with your doc and see if he can suggest anything for sleep. i take a ton of other stuff for sleep as well. my insomnia is really horrible and my medication alone isn't enough so i have to augment it with natural aids. melatonin is one most people are aware of. Valerian root extract is also a natural sleep aid that may help you. i'm currently taking a supplement called Deep Sleep that i got at Whole Foods. it seems to be helping a good bit. i like stuff that's in gelcap form.

not much advice for the muscle tics. i still get them from time to time. nothing severe. my hands will occasionally shake mildly for no reason and that's a bit irritation as i'm four and a half months sober. happened last night. it can just be stress combined with the fact that our body's electrical system is still recovering from all the damage alcohol has done to it. PAWS lasts for quite a while.

good luck with your recovery. remember that you're not suffering alone. we're all here with you. check in any time and you'll see. stay strong, Kinfolk.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sobriety and sanity were restored through Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well looks like you got some great answers. And know your not alone.

I use alot of walking and hot showers when those come around.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not a doctor, not offering medical advice. However, I wanted to tell you that I too have had twitches during withdrawal. Nothing severe. Just the occasional finger or arm twitch or something.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank You all so much. I really thought I was losin my mind! I did look into paws. I guess the stress and anxiety is making my body do all sorts of strange things. I thank u all very much. I've been reading around and learning a lot. Although I am suffering I was a crappy everything while drinking. I could do without the weird symptoms but It beats sleeping all weekend while my family is out enjoying life. Wow, didn't know anxiety could be so insane.

Peter