Notices

More sensitive to heat during withdrawals?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More sensitive to heat during withdrawals?

Just curious about this. I'm on day 2 free and clear of alcohol. I felt freaking great this morning. Seriously, on top of the world. At lunch I walked with a buddy for a number of blocks to get a sandwich. I noticed on the way there I felt a bit light-headed. On the way back I started to get queezy and felt like I may throw up. When we got back and I sat in the A/C I was "okay" after a few minutes.

Now it's low 90's outside, high humidity, I'm wearing all black, and I'm a big guy....so that may be more a part of it than the withdrawals...LOL
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And I find I sweat at the drop of a hat. But being a "big guy" I can get away with that without anyone being suspicious. Lol
Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi harley, good for you on going alcohol-free.

I definitely noticed in early withdrawal that I had a lot of trouble regulating my body temp. I'd have almost like hot flashes or times of just feeling very hot, and then the occasional chill. Weird!

I'm sure the heat makes this worse. Just make sure you're staying hydrated! Drink more water than you think you need.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Have you been for a check-up at the doctors ? even if you don't come clean about the drinking it might be worth having blood pressure and diabeties checked out , then maybe some idea of safe excersise levels in the heat with the weight you carry .

i'm 285lb and find anything over 80 too much , but i do live in the uk so anything over 70 makes me put the air-con on .
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

drink a lot of water. see a doctor for proper detox. alcohol withdrawal can shock the body & will mess with blood pressure.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another vote for the Dr. - as others have said, it's common, it may be nothing - but it's always best to get checked out

D
Old 07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drink lots, nay, TONS, of water. Or iced tea or whatever floats your boat!

I work outside often, physical work (I'm a painting contractor) and firmly believe that many ills are "cured" by staying hydrated because IMHO many people simply don't do this, and it's totally free and simple.

If "big guy" is code for being "really fat" that's OK but you have an increased requirement for staying hydrated and being in good cardiac health so I echo the suggestion to check in with your doctor!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, not "really fat" precisely. I'm mostly built like a bouncer...but I have put on a gut during my addiction. The death of said gut is priorty two after I am pleased with my progress in taming of priority number one.

As for the doctor, I have been recently. I didn't mention my addiction out of embarassment. I check out on everything except slightly elevated liver function and high blood pressure, which I am on medication for. I'm hoping one of the outcomes of my recovery is to lose those meds.

Honestly I think I just got a little hot and it made me nausious. I haven't had a recurrance all day. I think I was over reacting by posting this
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not an overreaction.
I had a really bad last detox. Not getting out the violins or anything but I'll never be the same again.

Not everyone will be as unlucky as me but I really recommend everyone is honest with their Dr about whats been going on and gets a check up.

D