Notices

Do alcohol withdrawal symptoms decline steadily with time?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do alcohol withdrawal symptoms decline steadily with time?

I suspect that alcohol makes me act (or reveals in me?) crude, insensitive, tactless, and emotionally unstable. Even in moderation.

I am trying to quit, and I'm on day 6 sober. But I'm starting to think maybe alcohol isn't the problem.

But today I was all these things and more, as if I was drunk. So if my primary motivation to stop drinking is to stem these things, and it doesn't work, then what's the point?

I felt great days 3 4 and 5, and now on day 6 to get these symptoms, I feel that if alcohol was really a significant part of the problem, then surely these symptoms would decline over time.

I have a date tomorrow, and I feel if I don't drink, then she will know there is something wrong with me. Even if alcohol is bad for you, it's a sign of emotional strengh to be able to drink it in moderation and show no ill effects. I worry that if I don't drink, she will know right away I'm currently feeling unstable. And to balance out the pros and cons, a little bit of instability is not as bad as admitting outright I can't take a drink. What if this girl makes me so happy, alcohol doesn't have anything much to amplify!

I saw a nice quote, about how if you give up now, you have to go through today all over again. I feel a bit like that. I feel like if I can just go 60 days, I will have a better idea of whether I am still unstable emotionally. If I am, then at the very least I can have the odd drink without guilt. I can look back, and say well I tried absistance, didn't make a lot of difference.

So basically my question is, do alcohol withdrawal symptoms decline steadily with time? Becuase it seems ups and downs to me.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Takeitaway,

I am new to this site, but I found each day becomes easier. I found the first few days to be the most difficult. Time began to go by quickly after the first week. Lots of folks don't drink and are not viewed as "weak", so why not give it a try on your date tomorrow.

Welcome! Kim
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I think emotional instability, and a certain irritability, is very common in early sobriety...it certainly was for me.

If you're like me you've drunk for years - it will take a little while for you to reach a consistent emotional level.

Every time you drink the process will tend to go backwards or reset, so if this worries you, I'd advise you not to drink

You'll find a lot of people here living full happy and very social lives without alcohol or drugs

D
Old 07-13-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do try to be patient with yourself and you will see changes. Of course, stopping drinking is just the beginning of the journey.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, it's good to know others also experienced these early day symptoms. I've been looking at other threads and can see it is more common than I thought.

It's just hard to come to terms with the idea that so many people can enjoy alcohol and perhaps I can't be 'normal'
Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's very hard to come to terms with and yes the roller coaster of emotions is normal. I'm 2 months sober and still feeling it but like u said if u give up u have to start again. I hear a lot of peeps say the 3 month mark this settle down a bit
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I felt great days 3 4 and 5, and now on day 6 to get these symptoms, I feel that if alcohol was really a significant part of the problem, then surely these symptoms would decline over time.

As Dee said, it takes time. YOu're very early in sobriety, day six, and it takes longer than six days to get back to normal. Emotional ups and downs are very common in the early weeks. Don't drink to make the feelings go away cause you'll be right back in that vicious cycle.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cool

You ask.............:

"...So basically my question is, do alcohol withdrawal symptoms decline steadily with time?..."

The simple answer to this question is, "Yes, the 'withdrawal' symptoms do decline, and are totally gone, with time.

"...it seems ups and downs to me..."

Yup, that's life.....up's and 'downs' ......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I noticed some things in your post that give me the impression that you've been misinformed on some things (course I could be totally off-base, but who knows) ...............

"...I suspect that alcohol makes me act (or reveals in me?) crude, insensitive, tactless, and emotionally unstable. Even in moderation..."

I hate to tell you, but alcohol does not make a person act in any way except drunk.....it does NOT create bad behavior (boy, how I wish I could use that an excuse for a bunch of my past behaviors, but.....no such luck). Alcohol does not make a liar out of a truthful person; it does not make a moral person into an immoral person; it doesn't make a tactful person tactless, a sensitive person insensitive, nor a stable person unstable..........well, you get the idea.

This is why you'll hear/read recovered folks say (paraphrased here) that putting down the bottle is just the beginning.

"...I'm starting to think maybe alcohol isn't the problem..."

Well, it may not be, but I'd be willing to bet that it's not helping, either.

"...it's a sign of emotional strengh to be able to drink it in moderation and show no ill effects..."

I dont know where you're getting your getting your information, but this is absolutely and positively NOT true. Being able to drink in moderation and show no ill effects is ONLY a sign of being able to drink in moderation and show no ill effects.....nothing else.

"...I have a date tomorrow, and I feel if I don't drink, then she will know there is something wrong with me...she will know right away I'm currently feeling unstable..."

I believe some of my old colleagues might call this projection (projecting your feelings/beliefs onto someone else). Perhaps it's you who believes that if a person doesn't drink there's something wrong with them, that they're unstable in some way.....eh....? Something to think about, anyway.

"...admitting outright I can't take a drink..."

Who says you have to admit that you "can't" take a drink....? How about that you just don't "want" to take a drink.....no question as to whether you "can" or "can't."

"...well I tried absistance, didn't make a lot of difference..."

I hate to be the bearer of bad knews, but just abstaining from alcohol is not going to do all that much. As I said earlier, alcohol does NOT create bad behavior. It does not make a person act crude, insensitive, tactless, and/or emotionally unstable. Most folks here will tell you that, along with abstinence, some form of 'program' or some form of 'self-help' is usually needed.

Anyway, just some thoughts. You did ask one other question.....as to whether if your primary motivation to stop drinking was to stem bad behavior (crude, insensitive, tactless, etc.), and it doesn't work, then what's the point? Well..........the point would be................you'd be sober.....and it's a lot easier working on one's self if one is sober, as opposed to if said person being high or drunk......so, here's looking at you, kid..............

(o:
NoelleR