Notices

Just be kind , that is why we here.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Just be kind , that is why we here.

Howdy all, I have not posted a thread in a bit so I thought today was as good as any.

We must be careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as the institution . Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to anyone by any means. We as I are not fanatics or intolerant of people who can actually drink normally. Prospects are relieved when they find we are not witch burners but simply people that can not drink alcohol normally. Temperate drinking is so normal but we(I) can not do such . We can not get away with it.

And of course no alkie likes to be told about alcohol from someone that no longer likes it, So stick with some love, and know we shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

Together we walk this beautiful journey.

And always Smile cause sobriety looks good on You. !!!!!!!!!!

Good love, Inda

all BB quotes First Ed.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I have no problem with people who drink alcohol just so long as long as that people ain't me.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All true advice, Inda!

Then again, especially in this forum, we also have to be tolerant of people who are struggling, depressed, angry because they can't drink or use like "normal" people, going through early-sobriety mood swings and attempting to be honest, even if it's angry or intolerant honesty.** So I do think it goes both ways.

** I identify with all of the aforementioned!
Of course there do have to be rules for polite discourse and limits, and the mods are pretty good at keeping this place civil and supportive.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I give myself to being sober. How bout You? Its so worth the journey.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Well, I must say that I personally HATE alcohol because it has caused such tremendous pain in my life. But that's just me. I realize that it is prevalent in our society and it is enjoyed by many, many non-problem/non-alcoholic drinkers. I envy them, but my alcoholism is not their problem.

At the same time, I guess I also have to be grateful for my alcoholism because without it, I would not have learned so much about myself. God puts us exactly where we need to be at any given time, and without my addiction, I might not be the strong, insightful, self-assured person that I am now.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well said desert, and let the peace and serenity be with you:ghug3
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you for your kindness, Inda.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I know I can not drink because when I do I do not know if I am going to get ****ed up locked up or covered up and that is for real. It has been over 7 years since I have had a drink or drug thank God. Logo
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I completely agree desertsong. I've tried to be very low key and quiet about my not drinking just for that reason. And my husband is a normal drinker so I just have to accept it. Some people can enjoy a drink, but not me.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I was just reading that chapter today and it hit a nerve bc I have been dealing with everyone drinking around me on vacation. I felt so much better after reading it
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Inda,
Great post. I am surrounded by people who can drink alcohol and do so responsibly and in moderation. If I became a fanatic with anyone other than myself I would be single and have no friends. I have the problem, they don't. So I clink my diet coke against their wine glass when we toast to love and life.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Cheers I clink my Crystal light to that Diet Coke with ya .....
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gosh, to be completely honest, I love alcohol and would be drinking it if I could handle it. Since I know I can't handle it, I won't drink it. The problem is me. I feel happy for the people that can drink in a healthy way and enjoy its benefits. Meanwhile, there are many ways that people can suffer, and I applaud Inda's post, since what is really required in this world is love. I was thinking today that one of my besetting sins is judgement--of people, places, and things. When that judgmental voice creeps in to my head, as it did at the gas station just a few minutes ago, it evokes a whole lot of other negative emotions that, if fanned and fed, would lead me right back to the bottle. I can recognize it now and work hard on mentally walking away from it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
Gosh, to be completely honest, I love alcohol and would be drinking it if I could handle it. Since I know I can't handle it, I won't drink it. The problem is me. I feel happy for the people that can drink in a healthy way and enjoy its benefits. Meanwhile, there are many ways that people can suffer, and I applaud Inda's post, since what is really required in this world is love. I was thinking today that one of my besetting sins is judgement--of people, places, and things. When that judgmental voice creeps in to my head, as it did at the gas station just a few minutes ago, it evokes a whole lot of other negative emotions that, if fanned and fed, would lead me right back to the bottle. I can recognize it now and work hard on mentally walking away from it.
For the first time, I'm "getting" the Serenity Prayer and find myself saying it a lot to myself these days!

You (and Inda) are so right, really...learning not to get irritated and annoyed at completely irrelevant things in life, but to accept them, does help with sobriety and just general calmness.