Notices

drinking now. was at +39 days.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drinking now. was at +39 days.

I've seen a few people make some of these threads, so here goes.

first of all, allow me to tip my cap to AA partisans: I am an AA anti-partisan, this is fact, and have gone after you all on occasion. and I am drinking: feel free to consider this a small victory for your program and ideology, I am perfectly willing to play the necessary part.

depression had been getting me the last few days... I have not been sleeping well for some time now. everything seemed at best ok, but mostly bleak and uninteresting. I still hold self-defeating existential beliefs, despite flirtations with Christ, I just don't believe it. I'm an intellectual type. I believe that humanity is ultimately doomed, as is the universe. I'm a misanthrope. I find most people appalling, and can understand why others would feel the same about me.

so the idea popped into my head at 6pm and rapidly progressed, and I ultimately chose to do it. I am on my third beer now. my family does not know. I bought a twelve-pack, stashed six in a small cooler which sits in a draw in my dresser. I'm feeling good, the 'hit' is coming along well, my familiar friend is back.

comments and questions welcome.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pour the beer out and put a pot of coffee on.

You don't have to get drunk tonight.

It's hard to quit drinking while drinking.

I don't want to get drunk tonight.

If I did, I don't think I would come here to a site where people are trying to stay sober and brag about how good drinking feels.

Alcohol is no friend.

I can relate with feeling so negative.

I am sorry you are in that headspace.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said yesterday on another thread I find it hard to believe that people here would take pleasure in others pain Eternity...I know from my own experience it's a thought that occurred to me often when drinking tho.

I don't think we need muddy the waters with recovery programme discussions either...

I reckon the important thing is not what method we use or not but that you're reaching out here for help - and I know you'll find it

I'm not very familiar with SMART but I know you were posting about it and I've heard good things about it - maybe that's a good place to start?

D
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by aNewEternity View Post
I'm an intellectual type.
Well, quit thinking and quit drinking.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Veritas1 View Post

If I did, I don't think I would come here to a site where people are trying to stay sober and brag about how good drinking feels.
I'm only being constitutionally honest.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you ever sought help for your depression aNewEternity?

D
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Like I said yesterday on another thread I find it hard to believe that people here would take pleasure in others pain Eternity...I know from my own experience it's a thought that occurred to me often when drinking tho.
'sadism' is a fundamental reality of human history, as far back as we can trace.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you ever sought help for your depression aNewEternity?

D
yep, Lexapro 20mg.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Eternity.

Maybe the feelings you have now are the reason you drank before. Perhaps its those feelings that really need dealing with.

After 39 days I doubt these feelings were down to what you used to drink.

Maybe you just got used to using alcohol to get rid of those feelings, but without dealing with them.

Would'nt it make sense to talk over and at least try to resolve these issue/feelings.

Cov.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery seems to be a good fit for us "intellectual types".

At the very least, you'll have no one to blame but yourself for any subsequent drinking you decide to do...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA people reach out to "the still-suffering alcoholic".
It is NOT "the still-suffering, AA, God-fearing, bible thumping alcoholic.
Get it done and out of your system.
Then, start again.
The very best of luck to you.
From a fellow alcoholic.
Anne
:ghug3
Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Well, i'm an AAer and i don't have a problem for people who don't believe in the program. It works for most, it doesn't for some. I don't hate people who don't believe in AA or 12 step programs. I would hope not to be hated for working something that keeps me sober but i can't change how you feel so that's your issue, not mine.

Your choice to drink is yours. When you decide to stop drinking, we'll be here to help. I hope for your sake that is sooner better than later.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

'sadism' is a fundamental reality of human history, as far back as we can trace.
I think we see things in fundamentally different ways...which is fine...if you think I can ever be of help to you, don't hesitate to ask

yep, Lexapro 20mg.
I'm not familiar with Lexapro. I hope it's working for you...if it's not I hope you'll see your Dr.

D
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
Rational Recovery seems to be a good fit for us "intellectual types".

At the very least, you'll have no one to blame but yourself for any subsequent drinking you decide to do...
such is why I phrased it, 'I ultimately chose to do it'
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not familiar with Lexapro. I hope it's working for you...if it's not I hope you'll see your Dr.

D
it works to an extent, but delayed ejaculation / reduced genital sensitivity are a downer
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ANE,

Mood swings are part of the package of this thing we call recovery, but for sure drinking will only perpetuate feeling depressed. I suggest you pick up "Under the Influence" - it's got a ton of information that really helped me in the early days. And despite going through a very good rehab of my own volition & doing all the "right things" I still struggled in the early months. If it's any consolation, what you are experiencing is normal.

Philosphy, recovery methods, and all that is useless talk while you continue to drink. I can attest that it never gets easier or better, and the consequences will accumulate. And regardless of your viewpoint or philosphy on life, if you are an alcoholic, drinking is suicide. Dump the beer, and call it a night. Tomorrow is another day... if you feel the same way you can decide how to deal with it then, but so long as you are drinking you are incapable of judging your own actions.

Good luck - what hapens to you matters to the wider world.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've seen a few people make some of these threads, so here goes.

first of all, allow me to tip my cap to AA partisans: I am an AA anti-partisan, this is fact, and have gone after you all on occasion. and I am drinking: feel free to consider this a small victory for your program and ideology, I am perfectly willing to play the necessary part.
Your drinking is not a victory for AA. Our victorys are counted in our members who remain sober. I am sorry that you feel that AA members have a malicious attitude toward you. You are a fellow alcoholic. When we have our moment of silence at the beginning of our meetings, it is you who is in our hearts.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

We project out what we feel about ourselves< huh. Nobody is pleased about you drinking but the only way to stop is to stop. Action has to come before the drink, any kind of action. I know plenty of people who have depression and hide in some form of defect it doesn't have to be the drink.

Sometimes we outsmart ourselves so we can drink, I pray that you never give up hope for yourself, we live one day at a time whether we drink or not. Find a method that you are willing to put some effort in and go with that. If you put half the energy into that method that you put in for your drink, guess what when you have a bout of depression you won't have to drink over it, it will pass as every moment in our lives pass, we decide which one to bring back.

Hope you find your way, God Bless!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

AA members do not find victory in people slipping up. People relapse in AA too we help eachother AA is saving my life.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

comments and questions welcome.
What is your present plan for your future use of alcohol?

What do you intend to do when that twelve-pack runs out?