Notices

What a difference a week makes

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a difference a week makes

Finally, finally made it thru a weekend without drinking. Last Monday I was coming off a weekend binge and was late for work, looked liked hell, felt rough, depressed, anxious, disappointed at myself and the money I drank away, fearful of looking at my cell phone etc. Today, I am none of the above. I could look at my self in the mirror this morning. I feel really good.

It wasn't easy for sure. There were a couple of times I was about to say f-it and drink. But I remembered that if I did, I'd have to go thru trying to quit all over again. I reached out and called couple people I met in meetings, I recognized and countered whatever the AV said to me, I remembered that if I drank, I'd more then likely want to keep drinking all weekend at most and at least I'd be "ok" and that would give me an excuse to go back to drinking because -see I can go out an have a few...

I got a glimpse of how good a non drinking life can be -- Now just need to keep the momentum going.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I can't take that first drink, one turns into 20 for me. I can't drink like other people, there is something in alcohol that I am allergic to.

I found AA works for me also. I am so much happier, it only can get better from here. I have 6 months, and I have got to keep remembering that 1st step. I am powerless over alcohol, it makes my life unmanageable.

I got a sponsor after my 2nd meeting. It was important for me this time, a light bulb went off and I KNEW I had to lick it this time.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done brdlvr! I remember how great it felt to get through that first weekend. The second one is even better x
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first week... it feels great I know. Just stay strong :0).
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

It gets better and better. =) don't give up. I'm at 37 days today and it's been great.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its been so long for me, but do you honestly feel different? I havent had a 48 hour sober period in about 18 months. So I kinda forgot.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hunter - Yes I do. I'm not an everyday drinker so I do have my sober days during the week but I'm usually feeling the effects of coming off a binge for the first few days feel little better then start drinking again.

In just this one week - I look better - even my hair seems better lol. I found myself yesterday in a good mood for no real reason. I feel more calm too - not all depressed, anxious or even aggitated when coming off the booze. Not drinking gave me freedom this weekend. When drinking I was drunk so coudn't really do much but drink wherever I was or wherever I got a ride to or was hungover so again - couldn't do much but hide in house and feel like crap. But this weekend - I actually did stuff - shopped, went to see a movie, out to dinner, watched little bit of a band, relaxed at home etc.

I'm going to focus on those postive when the craving hit - which I know they will.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hunter, my answer to your question, Do you honestly feel better, is ABSOLUTELY. The immediate improvement was the boost in self esteem and respect having decided to put that all behind me for good. Then the physical complaints start disappearing, and next the head starts to clear. Sound, restful sleep becomes the norm. Memory returns, and motivation to keep pushing to improve other life aspects continue too. Depression and anxiety lift and become distant memories. After all, if we can stop drinking, then there really are no limits.

I recommend giving it a try.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post brd - congrats on your first week

and yeah Hunter - we're not blowing smoke here

D
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's awesome brdlvr! I can definitely relate on being scared to check my phone after drinking. Man I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats. your post is very inspiring. thank you
Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm kinda with Hunter too. I haven't had a sober 48 hour period in 18 months either. There was. One period of about 5 days... I felt AMAZING. For some reason even though I know it felt amazing, I wake up every day with the best intentions, but when late afternoon comes ... I forget how amazing it would be to be sober and start hitting the bottle.... then repeat this process daily. I'm over it! I admire you all for your strength so much, BC it takes so much. I hope my day comes soon.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Brd. I am in the same boat. I had my first sober weekend in 2012 last week.
Never had so many problems from the office as this week. And I feel like I won the lottery.

Cause know I know. I will NEVER drink again. Why now is different? Now I know I cannot handle it.

1 drink = alcoholism

It is as simple as that