Notices

Dont know where else to turn

Old 07-06-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is from THE DOCTOR'S NIGHTMARE....The story from co-founder Doctor Bob....I think he wrote it for you....I know he wrote it for me.

If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails, if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when you were getting another drink.
Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The best way to beat the game is definitely to stop drinking. I don't feel out of the game now, I feel like I have beaten it. I am grateful that I don't have to drink anymore. Nothing is controlling my life but me.

If you have lost friends to alcohol Fallow, don't get mad at the world, get mad at alcohol. I find it infuriating that it causes so much death and pain yet society treats it as something we can't live without! If you are wondering 'what's the use'...it is that you get to live the rest of your life with dignity, free from the control alcohol has over you. Even if you ended up with an alcohol related illness you would still have beaten it.

So what's your next move?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol, that our lives had become unmanageable.

I was on step one for a long time. In fact, I am still on step one today, after making it for 6 months in sobriety. I went to a place that I use to go while drinking on July 4th for an hour. My sponsor told me I am back to step 1.

I need to keep remembering just how powerful, baffling and cunning alcoholism is if I want to keep my sobriety.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Bill W in latter life cleared up something for me Fallow.

"If you think you are an atheist, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you."
- All Big Book quotes taken from Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Ed.
"In AA's first years I all but ruined the whole undertaking with this sort of unconscious arrogance. God as I understood Him had to be for everybody. Sometimes my aggression was subtle and sometimes it was crude. But either way it was damaging - perhaps fatally so - to numbers of non-believers."
- The Dilemma of No Faith, By Bill Wilson, AA Grapevine, April 1961
Alcoholism is no game indeed. Nor is intentionality alienating non-believers from AA. No AA member has to have the same understanding of God as the authors of the BB had to work the 12-step program.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

No I havent done all the steps V.

My next move is to stay stopped.

Its obviously time to start doing things differently.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I awake now a days and pray to My HP, I never prayed to anyone before AA(except when in a jackpot). But every morning I say Step 1 , because without it the other 11 dont mean a thing for me.

You can be free
Old 07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatever you decide to do next Fallow you got a heck of a cheer squad here
I'm rooting for you too

D
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please continue to use SR as a support, and check out the other resources mentioned. I know that you can find a way to stop and recover.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
No I havent done all the steps V.

My next move is to stay stopped.

Its obviously time to start doing things differently.
I am with you.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Whatever you decide to do next Fallow you got a heck of a cheer squad here
I'm rooting for you too

D
Thanks Dee.

Everyone here has been great over the past year. Its too bad sobriety didnt take off for me right away but the past is gone. Now its time for me to really get to work. No excuses. And Anna yes I will continue to come here for help, hopefully I can also give back to this community in the future.

I appreciate everyones support more than I can express here