So so sorry to hear about this. So sad
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
AA member

How tragic.Praying for you all.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Sorry for the loss I heard the same line early in my sobrietry too, I thought it was cruel but it was true nonetheless! Keep what you learned and grow from it!!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Thanks to everyone. I will be going to the meeting where she goes each week tonight so hopefully I can give my support to those who knew and loved her. I heard that 80% if alcholic women have depression. Fighting co occuring disorders is so difficult. Its important to carry the message out. Its so easy to slip back. I was just speaking to my therapist a few hours I heard the news that I am not craving alcohol but I know from the BB and attending AA meetings the addictive voice can always come back and I have to be ready for it.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

God Bless you Inner Child - I've lost many friends the same way. It's never easy.

One positive thing I'd like to mention. When I was drinking, I'd have gone on a week long binge over this. Now I have the tools to get through it.

Just because we're in recovery doesn't mean we're completely well. Different things happen through life that will turn up the volume of what you call the alcoholic voice. For me the closest I came was last summer. I had something extremely terrible happen in my life that took me to a very black and deep pit. Thought of suicide went through my mind and I came very close to listening to my AV tell me that I really didn't care about all the negative effects of alcohol on my system. It told me that I needed to hide and bury the hurt with alcohol. To this all I can say is: Thank the Lord my God as I don't understand Him, the AA program, and the people in it for being there at the time and for giving me the tools to overcome this.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yes that is very sad, Fred. I am so sorry for her family and friends like you.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi IC;
I am so sorry for your loss. Shortly after I began attending meetings at the home group I currently attend, a longtime member passed away. He was an elderly man and had been battling cancer. I never got to meet him but attended his funeral with my sponsor who knew him. I was blown away at the number of people in attendance and at the number of YOUNG alcoholics whose lives he touched. The chapel was jam packed. On the podium sat a Starbucks cup and at first I thought it was carelessly left there by someone setting up. When his sponsor got up to start the eulagy he said, "This (holds up the cup) is Bobs. Anyone who knew Bob knows that he hung out at the Starbucks. He would be on his phone or talking face to face to anyone who needed him. We called him "Happy Bob" because he always seemed to have a smile and share a good joke. Little did he know that it was short for 'You Make Us Happy, Bob'" - Even tho I didnt know him I bawled my eyes out at the tremendous impact he made in the lives of others because he chose to not drink one day at a time.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I listened to a lady that came into our homegroup meeting one day...She was from out of state. She talked about a funeral she went to for a friend.that had died sober...She had cancer and never picked up. She said she got there and people were lined up to get in there...And she wasn't in AA at the time and had no idea she had so many friends...She talked to her sister about it afterwards....It turned out there were about 200 people from AA at her funeral...And that was the thing that made her go to AA herself....Things like that always amaze me about this program. Nice share oh2exhale.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

oh2exhale. Great story and similar to something that happened at the meetings I attend. I was in a acute hospital partial program and one of the men in my program was there bc he was dealing with a lot of deaths through AA. He has been sober for years and at the time his long time sponsor was dying of cancer and he shared and cried about it everyday. We became friends through the program but at one celebration meeting I attended they were honoring this man, my friends sponsor. I believe it was his 40th year in recovery and he was too sick to attend. The meeting at the Church was completely jam packed you could not even sit down. While the Man's wife took his coin and made his speech there was not a dry eye in the place especially with the men in the room. I heard from so many men how this man had touched so many lives and helped so many people get and stay sober. He was a hero and inspiration to so many people in that room. Its amazing how AA can bring people together and help eachother. He died shortly after his 40th year of sobriety so sad but he left such a mark on the lives of others.