Notices

Is anyone like me?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

During my last stab at sobriety I went to plenty of social events where alcohol was a main feature, and felt rock solid. Then I went to one where I picked up, seemingly out-of-the-blue, with nary a forethought or care in the world. That obviously was a huge mistake. The problem for me is that unpredictability. I mean there was no forecast, I was just suddenly back in it. Obviously my recovery was not on a solid foundation. I'm not sure how in the future I will deal with this problem. Met with my sponsor today and he gave me a sheet on relapse prevention. I guess more meetings and working the program harder for me. I still look back on that slip and regard it as the final piece of proof I needed to convince me I was truly an alcoholic.

Great thread, its interesting to hear how folks deal with this socializing issue. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Yes! thanks to everyone that has answered. It really does help to see what everyone thinks. I'm still going to pass on this one because I really don't feel strong enough to cope with this yet.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

best change i ever made was the decision not to go to pubs. I did go once cause friends were doing a pre concert drink fest and I got a little stressed due to not ingesting the sedative that alcohol is. Usually the ability to smile helps in all social situations though and I seemed to connect more with the bar tenders for some reason unknown or maybe we shared a common interest perhaps. Great going on your sobriety by the way!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by Another View Post
best change i ever made was the decision not to go to pubs. I did go once cause friends were doing a pre concert drink fest and I got a little stressed due to not ingesting the sedative that alcohol is. Usually the ability to smile helps in all social situations though and I seemed to connect more with the bar tenders for some reason unknown or maybe we shared a common interest perhaps. Great going on your sobriety by the way!
Thanks so much! I'm doing the best I can!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Everyone, I have changed my mind. I've decided i'm not going because after I got to thinking about it, I really don't think it's a good idea for me at the time. So I simply said that I would not be attending. I feel bad, but I have to think about ME FIRST. Thanks everyone! Sad but I know it's the right thing to do.
i was concerned when reading this thread earlier and said a prayer. your decision is proof( again) that God answers prayers!!!