Notices

so here it goes

Old 06-19-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so here it goes

....day five
of being sober and and beer has been my drug of choice since around 19. Im 36 now and have steadily increased my intake over the years. Pretty much followed the script of an alcholic since the first drink. Started as a social thing but from the get go had no real control to stop drinking once i started it didnt matter if i had a sixer or a 24 pack i would drink till it was gone or i blacked out. It wasnt till my thirties that it would become a daily habit to at least get buzzed. The last two years have been pretty much hell on my wife and my kids as my job put me in a role that im on call mon-thur so no drinking while on call so basically go through withdrawls every week...can u say ***hole..i really cant believe my wife has put up with it.. well last thursday i bought a 18 pack of beer and headed home from work early... And got wasted..so long story short drank that a then pulled pint bottle of wiskey out of my stash in the shop and really got wasted. Im not sure how i survived through the night as i dont remember anything after 4pm and didnt wake up till 9am the next day..i was told i blackedout around 6-7pm and pucked numerous times thru the night.. and as long as im telling ya this much i should be honest and tell ya.i also pissed the bed...still cant believe my wife put up with it..
So now on to my detox...
Day 1. Thought i was going to die mostly from the hangover.
Day 2. Anxiety,mad,restless,sweating,heart racing no sleep at all
Day 3. More of day 2 stuff still no.sleep
Day 4. Took the day off work and spent the day with my son got hungry for the first time in 4 days. Actually had a normal conversation with my son...more anxiety,less mad, getting better.
Day 5. So i have a few more hours in day five and it went pretty good today. Its kinda weird to see things through sober eyes and.not planning my next drunk. Still get a little anxiety and still tired but getting better as i took benadryl last night and finally got some.sleep. speaking of benadryl i took some about an hour ago.and im.getting tired so i think im gunna call it another day SOBER...I will check back in tomorrow evening...

Last edited by oregon250; 06-19-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Oregon
good to have you here

D
Old 06-19-2012, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also new here

Thank you for the post....your story believe it or not is my life to a T..

-started drinking at young age(was the "Big Drinker" in high school and proud of it)
-Functioned like this for probably 7 years progressively getting worse.
- Married at 22 to a wonderful wife but also had lost my liscence twice and spent a weekend in jail for it by this time.
-Became a closet binge drinker for approx 10 years only drinking with select friends when on road trips or when wife was away(the odd time I did relapse in front of the wife)
-had two wonderful boys
-continued the closet binge drinking facade until an all inclusive trip to Mexico at age 32
-last 4 years have been hell on wife/kids including everything you said above and more.

I can not offer much in way of advice at this point as I am also new to the recovery process. You should know your not alone although I know it often feels like it. I try every day to do this for my children and wife who deserve so much more from me. I hope you find some process that breaks the cycle for you. I know reading this forum with all of the great, like minded people does help.

Best of luck and goodnight.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

You will find a lot of support & understanding here
Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! We are here for support!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on your five days. Stay strong and remember that it does get easier.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great work! Keep on the path - it gets better, and better, and better!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep it up and remember One day at a Time.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job! I have realized that I enjoy my kids more and they seem to like me better too! I like me better as well lol. Keep it up, it seems to get easier .
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Oregon)) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Its kinda weird to see things through sober eyes
I felt the same way at first, like someone dropped me on a new planet. Each day got better, though..... I began to feel calmer and started appreciating things around me that I never saw when I was drinking.

Glad you're here and congratulations on 5 days!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 5 - Welcome - You're on the right track and it does get better if you work at it
Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats and best of luck..its my first day here as well..but day 2 of sobriety! Hang in there hun you can do this..we ALL can!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

awesome about the five days sober--keep it up and welcome!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was planning on checking in last night but when i layed down for bed i was exhausted and was actually excited about falling asleep with out the aid of alcohol or a benadryl so let nature run its course and just feel asleep. Yesterday was day 6 sober and it went ok...no real bad withdrawl stuff through out the day and slept like a baby. So far today and its day 7 alls going good..seem to have alot of energy and in a good mood so looking forward to agood day. I will check back in tonight or in the morning....thanks everyone for the support as its nice to have a place to go and tell how your feeling...
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oregon250 View Post
I was planning on checking in last night but when i layed down for bed i was exhausted and was actually excited about falling asleep with out the aid of alcohol or a benadryl so let nature run its course and just feel asleep. Yesterday was day 6 sober and it went ok...no real bad withdrawl stuff through out the day and slept like a baby. So far today and its day 7 alls going good..seem to have alot of energy and in a good mood so looking forward to agood day. I will check back in tonight or in the morning....thanks everyone for the support as its nice to have a place to go and tell how your feeling...
That's fantastic oregon - well done! It's good to see there is light at the end of the tunnel in this difficult first week