Notices

90/90 let down

Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to get upset when meetings didn't make or were cancelled too. I would leave amazingly frustrated...that's when I was relying on the meetings to keep me sober. I was disregarding that the AA program is the 12 steps, not the meetings. Are the meetings a great place to share my experience, find a sponsor, and chill with my other sober peeps? You bet! But every time I relied on just meetings I invariably got drunk.

Eventually I realized meetings were not going to be enough for me...I sure wanted them too. That would be the easier, softer way right? No work for Aaron right? Sitting for an hour a day and soaking up some recovery by osmosis sounded great to this warped mind...and that my friend was the problem. Anything that sounds good to this mind typically isn't, after all, it's what tells me to drink right? I know lots of folks that just meetings are enough for sobriety and that's cool too, if it works then rock on! Even if I could stay sober on just meetings is it possible maybe a bit more to life exists than just sobriety...I get out of my recovery what I put into it...if I go to the ocean with a thimble I get a thimble full of water. The question is how much of this deal do I want and only I get to decide that. This process has taken me to levels beyond my wildest dreams, so I keep mining it! Best of luck to ya

Aaron
Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good work,....a day sober is a day to accomplish many good things
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great and helpful responses all. They give me some perspective on this process. I am so glad to have SR as a part of my recovery. And I did sit and do some reading, reflection, and worked on my "drinking history" for my sponsor--which latter has been a real eye-opener. Good God the carnage!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

Listen to heathersweeds, xa-speakers has recorded speaker meetings that are very powerful. Sandy B. goes through the 12 steps; those meetings were in Virginia in the 1980's and still relevant today. Marty M. was the first woman in AA. Clarence S. was the youngest of the first 100 to stay stopped. He did a ton of 12 step work with others to help them to stay stopped, too! So many great talks!

Your "time line" of drinking that your sponsor requested is not for your sponsor: IT's For YOU!

How awesome is that?!!!!??!!

Keep coming back!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by FrankBarone View Post
Well done on not drinking.

Reminds me of the time I went to a meeting only to be confronted by a troop of Brownies.
Love the name and picture. We had an opposite thing happen at my home group once. A group of voters walked into the room and asked for ballots, lol. The chair person said "this is AA...." and they all gave us disgusted looks and hurried out of the room. HA!