Notices

Recovering fathers-what wold YOU want?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering fathers-what wold YOU want?

My dad was a 24 hour maintaining alcoholic and quit drinking 2 years ago. He messed up 6 months later in front of me but I thought it was an isolated incident. 3 months ago I suddenly moved in with him as a result of my mother's drinking and discovered that he had been hiding a full blown relapse-the "isolated incident" was just the beginning-he was also abusing Percocet. He managed to quit it all again while I was living there and this fathers day I want to find a way to express how proud and grateful I am without embarrassing him. He felt awful about relapsing and I just want to show him that I would never judge him and that all I care about is he's ok. He mistakenly thought he could be a social drinker and learned his lesson the hard way, but I believe in him. He's not really comfortable with displays of emotion for the most part and is very uncomfortable with anyone directly addressing his sobriety-even in an entirely positive way-so what can I do? I'm a 21 year old woman if it matters
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do something with him that will be fun and enjoyable to both of you. I have a 22 year old daughter and nothing comes close to just spending the day with her... Our common interest is music... playing, listening, concert, whatever... So we do that together when we can.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I'm sorry you're going through this. My boyfriend went into a horrible, life-threatening relapse and it can be really difficult when you love someone - or live with someone - who is so ill with alcoholism/addiction. I would highly suggest Alanon - even better would be Big Book Alanon - for you. It has been really important for me. Much love, SIU
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm a 68 yr old father and grandfather. The best gifts of appreciation that I receive are a warm hug, an "I love you" and inclusion in family functions.

Love him, forgive him and "trust" him (for the most part) after he's about 10 yrs sober......

All the best.

Bob R