Notices

Life/Work Balance

Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Life/Work Balance

It's come to my attention that I don't have enough life/work balance. Mainly, I work a lot. I have a hard time separating my "self" from my work. Especially when I screw something up at work or forget something. I feel bad about it, personally. Like I'm an idiot or something.

I'm a little over 5 mos sober now and continue to meet with my sponsor and go to mtgs. We are just about ready to begin the steps, which I'm looking forward to.

I'm not sure what my personal passion is. I love to go bicycling outdoors, love to do puzzles, movies/theatre/art, boardgames, write on forums, read a lot. I enjoy spending time with my husband. Other than that, nothing in particular is my passion, my hobby.

I wonder if I should explore that more. I used to LOVE to cook, but now I don't like it so much. I used to drink a lot while cooking dinner, and now the joy of cooking is gone!! I don't know what to do about that.

I also realize I haven't done anything much with my AA friends. One friend wanted to organize a lunch - maybe I should be more active in helping her with it?

I'm also growing in my AA mtgs. I adore my home meeting but would like to find a 2nd mtg near my residence. The one I'm attending now is full of types I cannot relate to. They are very religious and God is often the main topic. I'm not Christian and while I do listen to other things they say, I find I have a hard time talking with them. I think it's time I branch out.

Hope everyone is doing well, I miss conversing with everyone on here. Happy Monday!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lost,

I have found that balance is crucial for my recovery. Too much or too little of something can put me in a funk. It sounds like you're listening to your inner voice very well to figure out what it is you really want to do in various areas of your life.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Lost,

I have found that balance is crucial for my recovery. Too much or too little of something can put me in a funk. It sounds like you're listening to your inner voice very well to figure out what it is you really want to do in various areas of your life.
Thanks Anna! I have to give credit to my sponsor. On day 2 of our trial, I was pretty exhausted and while not wanting to drink, I was feeling down and discontent. I called her and her advice to me was similar - that having too much of one side can lead her to drink. I don't want that, so....

I'm considering a masters degree, and I wonder if that will be the passion I'm looking for. I absolutely love studying and exploring topics deeper.