Notices

Not Thinking About Not Drinking

Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Thinking About Not Drinking

Heading out on a long walking meditation through the wetlands. My goal is to think about the walking and the wetlands and the wildlife and the walkers and their dogs I come across. It came to me I think I spend so much time thinking about not drinking that in a sense drinking is always preocccuping my mind if that makes any sense. There are times when movement, activity, being, doing needs to supercede thinking. Well I'm booted up and off I'm going. You all have a great Sunday, even it's an Ice cream one.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

You're singing my song, Fitz! Hope you have a beautiful walk, complete with ice cream.....red velvet to be exact!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Isn't it awesome Fitz! The realisation gradually came over me. You see, for me I believe, even though I prayed like crazy some days that the obcession be lifted, It was still too much of an instant gratification. My HP knows how maybe I wouldn't be as grateful and take for graite the gift of living a life without craving every single minute sometimes. Maybe I would have gone back out and never returned. It wasn't for awhile that I thought one day, hey, I'm not thinking about booze that much. That life got smoother, free-er
Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

I'm going for a run...all I will be thinking about is making it through my run without collapsing!!

Have a great day!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It makes lots of sense. Our mind can be our worst enemy. You have the right idea. Think about things that are happening in the present. Just remember, you are a non-drinker so thoughts should be cast aside. Look up thought blocking and thought transferring.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I'm pleased to report the walk went well. I was so busy concentrating on nature and not stepping on dog doo, horse apples and ant hills that I gave nary a thought to not thinking about not drinking except for a few times when I caught myself thinking am I not thinking about not thinking about not drinking? The exercise itself was a big plus, I highly recommend moving one's butt and let the mind follow.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll increase my walking tomorrow and decrease my thinking but will continue to avoid animal dropping and ant hills as possible. The walk was indeed a breath of fresh air (literally) and I feel better physically, emotionally and spiritually though my feet might disagree just a wee bit.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not walking so am thinking. Came across this.

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Walking was my saving grace. Now I can walk without thinking about drinking or not drinking and sometimes not thinking.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I completely relate. I think the good news is, over time, the mental obsession leaves us. At least that's what I'm told. I like the walking idea. Other things that work for me are doing stuff for others. Wether it's physical work like cleaning, or just calling some distant freinds and ask them how their day went. It's amazing what doing does.

Best of luck!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wink Agreed

I know what you mean and I struggle internally all the time. But I thank you, for posting this. The next time I hit the gym all I will hope to do is be conscience of what is around me.