Notices

What to expect, the 1st year?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect, the 1st year?

This is for the peeps with a year or close to. I know everyone is different but I'm wondering for YOU how did your first year pan out. A week of withdrawls, a month of fog, the 3 month mark the fog lifts? When is the new 'normal' to not drink? When did the discontentment shift? Do u ever get through the day with out thinking about booze, your past or even recovery?

Be nice to read your 1st year of recovery stories to get a sence of what to expect. Thanx in advance
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think it's easily quantified like that DT - I think each experience is different.

for me tho, I was pretty up and down for the first 90 days, then things settled down...from there to 6 months I dealt with a few crises...and came though not exactly unscathed but still sober....

the last half of the year I built on the first half and started to focus more holistically on me and my life and what needed improving...not just on not drinking.

To be honest it probably took me most of the first year to trust my recovery and my feelings and relax and realise it was ok for me to be happy & that I deserved that...but I was pretty beaten up....

Your experience may be a lot speedier

D
Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi

As Dee says, everyone is different. For me, the fog is still lifting. I am constantly amazed by the fact that I am ok just 'feeling' though. I can now sit with my feelings rather than trying to drown them

For me, the first few months, I was clinging on with what felt like desperation. The desperation gradually gets less and less and this (for me) was taken over by a feeling of a 'new life' with 'new opportunities' and that is something I have never felt before

Each day brings a new challenge but I'm in a much better place to deal with the challenges.

xx