Notices

Believing It's Over

Old 06-09-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KDL

Believing It's Over

Well, I have been struggling with the voice always in the back of my mind saying things like "Why can't I just go out once in a while and have a few drinks?" or "Would it be the end of the world if I only drank on vacation?"

I have been relying heavily on the stories of lessons learned by other alcoholics told on here, and in meetings. I KNOW I'm not different. I KNOW things will only be far worse then they were before I stopped drinking. Truthfully, deep down I don't understand why, but I need to immerse myself in the stories of others to keep me strong.

I was talking about that today with other alcoholics. I was discussing that I had absolutely no reason to believe that I would be different. Was I really going to have to experiment myself to learn the truth? What would be the cost? I know I would never forgive myself.

One man said something that made so much sense to me that I wanted to share.
He said, "We have plenty of people in the research department. You don't need to join them."

The truth is, I just need to keep learning from them, and the ones that didn't make it back.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Nobody is a better teacher for an alcoholic than another alcoholic. I don't know what I would do without all of you, and without the support of other alkies in AA. We "get" each other. I think that's why we need each other too.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought I was different for years... Hell, professionals who help with these sort of things treated me differently for years. Every experience was a "you'll be fine" with a pat on the head. My addiction kept progressing -- not even in the amount I drank -- it's the consequences of my drinking that became worse... Recently, I have pretty much lost everything you can think of, besides my amazing friends. I have no job, no place to live, and charges pending due to my drinking. All of this fell apart in 5 months. It only took for me to drink twice.

I FINALLY get that I am no different and thinking that I was, was the beginning of the end for me.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't you love how you always hear exactly what you need to hear?...It amazes me how often that happens.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Love your avatar KDL

Part of my struggle (at least in the beginning) was that my notions about who I was needed change. I think you can “KNOW I'm not different… KNOW things will only be far worse than they were before I stopped drinking”, but the notions of who you are do not change so rapidly. To know something and to be something are different things.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Love the quote!!

with time the voice fades to a whisper (can always be as deadly but!) and your life will become less dominated by the stuggle. Freedom does come, but it takes time.

When I was drinking I was never at peace
Old 06-09-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So well said, KDL!!