Notices

Cutting out other habits in early recovery?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Originally Posted by EXM6 View Post
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times over the years -- but lets give it one more go haha...

I'm a smoker and I also drink a ridiculous amount of caffeine... To the point that I almost wonder if I substitute caffeine for the alcohol. I would like to also cut these things out of my life right now. Good idea or bad? Experiences?
I believe I substitute cigs and caffine for alcohol and drugs. Yes, it is a good idea to cut these things out of your life. Can't get in the right mind to quit cigs, but finally stopped drinking coffee on May 22nd. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

After different attempts at giving up just one or the other, I quit the booze and cigs at the same time. That was the best thing I ever did, but you should gauge yourself first and see if you have enough juice to cut it all out at once.

When I just tried one thing at a time, the other stuff lingered. I culdn't shake it - but that's just me and my personality.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I quit lying and stealing the same time i quit drugs. Quit cigarettes at 6 months.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I tried quitting both at once before. When I failed one, I failed both. I think it's a bad idea. This time I just quit drinking and I'm already bored at night. If I had quit both I would be even more bored. I'll quit the other in the future after I have a handle on sobriety.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Everyone has their own pace and timing. When you quit something so substantial you are not just stopping something you are a making a permanent change. I quit drinking in January and had a quit date for smoking April 1st. That day came and went and I was still puffing away knowing that I wanted to quit (and had wanted to for a long time) Though I wasn't stopping I was still preparing in my mind that this change was coming. A month later I got so sick sinus infection, bronchial, flu, I was stuck in bed for about 10 days. In the process I decided f@*# this I am going to do this now. Once I felt better that was it. That was 30 days ago. Your body changes and I noticed that I was not drinking as much coffee either. I would go through at least 8 cups a day. Now I am throwing out 1/2 drunk coffee cups that I didn't finish without even noticing it. I think your success rate is lot better when your body can naturally ween off what it wants when it wants to. You just need to be strong enough to start the process and keep at it. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I tried quitting both at once before. When I failed one, I failed both.
My experience too...I felt that if I smoked, screw it, might as well drink...and vice versa