Notices

Rehab in 4 days

Old 06-03-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab in 4 days

Hi this is Kricket,

I have been sober for exactly 2 weeks. I go into inpatient in 4 days. I am both scared but also relieved. On May 11 I went through severe DTs. Worst experience of my life. I was released to an outpatient type place for the mentally ill and chemically addicted. They gave me librium which really helped. But then 9 days later they sent me home and I promptly drank again resulting in me going back to the same place for 4 more days.

My story is this. I had weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) ten years ago. I became a pill addict three years later. I have bipolar disorder also. I got past the pill thing and never imagined alcohol could hook me so quickly. I have only been drinking 6 months but my tolerance grew. in the past three months I have been pretty much binge drinking daily.

The only thing I have been noticing still in the way of withdrawals is really sweaty palms and insomnia mixed with some "way too much" sleep. Does this last long. I have no experience with alcohol withdrawal. I have to say that this withdrawal experience was far worse than opiate withdrawal. I hallucinated, shook, had bad nausea, etc.

Thank you for letting me post my story. It helps me know that I am not alone.

~Kricket
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome kricket68...You're not alone...I was beaten pretty badly by alcohol too...And all I can tell you is have hope....If you are willing to do what it takes...You can get out of that.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for replying. I feel so very alone and knowing this place here has given me great hope.

~Kricket

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Welcome kricket68...You're not alone...I was beaten pretty badly by alcohol too...And all I can tell you is have hope....If you are willing to do what it takes...You can get out of that.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are a lot of good people here who have been where you are...You hang tight here...Do some reading...Ask some questions....We'll get you going in the right direction. Don't pick up before you go into inpatient...Do what you have to do to not drink today...Spend your days and nights here if you have too.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to SR kricket. Sapling's right on this one, all the way. Hang in there~!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As far as withdrawal goes....At two weeks....Congrats on that by the way...You're probably done with the worst of it...It takes time but you'll feel better every day you don't drink. I don't know what your feelings about AA are...But it wouldn't be a bad idea to hit a meeting if you could...Just to be around some recovered alcoholics...That helped me a lot with feeling alone.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there
Would having a bypass affect your alcohol intake and the effects it has? Just wondering. I just stopped eating at my worst time. Thus not absorbing alcohol and giving me liver damage.
Being in an inpatient facility is a good way to detox.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Being in an inpatient facility is a good way to detox.
If you have 18 days sober when you go in...They won't detox you. I went in after 2 years straight of 24 hour drinking and they only detoxed me for 5 days. It will be a great place to clear you head and keep you in a safe environment though.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, kricket! Keep reading and posting....this place has helped me save my own life.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My Rehab experience laid the foundation of cognitive and behavioral skills that I would (eventually) use to construct a healthy path to living alcohol free.

Best wishes on you new sober life.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After our son was arrested for drug (trafficking heroin with 2 other young men, all addicted to injecting oxy) we met with a drug enforcement officer.

Here's what he told us:

If someone is addicted to drugs or alcohol, it takes 60 days from their last use for the brain to "BEGIN..." functioning correctly.

Any recovering alcoholics or addicts have an opinion? We'd never heard this before, but he said it's been proven scientifically (neurons or somthing in the brain begin working at about 60 days post use).
Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard and once you get intreatment and stick around you see just how much you are not alone at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kricket

I'm glad you're being proactive in your recovery - and glad you've found us.
I think most of us start to feel better after a couple of weeks, maybe 3?

MTUSA - I've heard that before...in my experience tho, it was closer to 90 days before I felt I was getting 'right' so I was behind the curve on that one

The truth is I think everyone has their own rate - I understand why some people like to generalise but recovery kinda resists generalisations IMO

D
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome Kricket,

I remember years ago, when I gave up drinking only to start gambling. I thought at the time I suppress one addiction and it pops up in Another form.

I am just one year sober for the first time in my life. I got here with the support of AA and this forum.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 06-03-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey Kricket, good to meet ya here! i will take a guess that the fear yer experiencing is fear of the unkown. i havent been to a rehab, but am willing to bet it's gonna help ya and not hurt ya.
it's all good! stay in today and dont drink/ use even if yer arse falls off!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome kricket!

I've been to treatment twice (30 days each time), and they were both really great experiences. It gives you a chance to be away from the stressors in your life, learn about addiction and work on solutions (and the food was good, too!)

I don't think we can ever have too much support when we're starting out. Glad you're joining us - hang in there!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow thank you all for your replies. This place feels like a lifesaver right now (and I am sure in the future too). I appreciate you all.

~Kricket
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

(((Krickett)))

Welcome to SR! I can totally relate to your entire story! Except I never had bypass, but I wanted it soooooo bad. I have been a compulsive overeater my entire life. Food was my first drug of choice, then alcohol, meth and then opiates!!!! I also went to rehab!

I think for women who overeat, switching addictions is soooooo common. Dr. Phil actually dedicated an entire episode once to women who had had gastric bypass and then very quickly became alcoholics.

As far as rehab goes, go in with an open heart and mind. I learned a lot in my rehab. It actually was fun and I made some lifelong friends there! This was 21 yrs ago and I live across the US from them now, but we keep in touch on FB.

A couple things I learned was perfectionism and procrastination go hand in the hand for me....so just do it! Even if it isn't perfect. Also recently I learned about acceptance. Google up the Big Book and read page 417! It makes soooo much sense.

I pray you have a great experience there and learn a lot. Remember there are going to be women there either as sick, sicker or not as sick as you....don't allow any of their issues become yours and leave.

You cannot control other people, only your reaction to them.

(((HUGS))) and blessings! Lily
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

done the rehab thing myself for 6 months same as you went in sober best thing i ever done 3 and a half years sober now AA plays a part in my life now personal choice. I am just now going through cold turkey for nurofen plus 3 days of the withrdrawls are noT as bad as the alcohol dt's they were murder. anyway good luck god bless and keep the faith
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I too had gastric bypass. I suppose I'd been a problem drinker for years, but the rapid absorption and instant intoxication off a couple drinks sealed the deal for full blown alcoholism. It went from a slow absorption and feeling the buzz coming on to feeling like I had injected it and immediately lost my judgement. I'm working on day three myself. Off to a rehearsal for the evening, but wanted to let you know you are not alone. This is a common problem for us gastric bypass patients. We can use the tools everyone else uses to beat it!