Notices

What are these "spells" I'm having?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What are these "spells" I'm having?

I'm 6 weeks sober. For the past 3 weeks I'm hit by something every few days. I forgot my pin# shopping and it's my birthday! It starts out with feeling weak and heavy droopy and dull..a headache comes on...my balance is off...clumbsy, I can't think and I forget...my speech is off. Eventually it wears off. I have eaten and drank gatorade but it doesn't help. I just go to bed. Is this a normal withdrawal or what? Never happened before. Thanks..in my 60's. I had a full checkup 3 months ago and I got a clean bill.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds kind of like hypoglycemia symptoms. There are studies that say 50% to 96% of alkies are hypoglycemic. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

It took me 9 months to feel a lot better. Every month was something new. I had word recall problems, dyslexic moments with brain, hands, off balance, not able to think. By 9 months everything was more clear. I notice new things a lot more.

Healing takes time. We didn't damage ourselves in one night. See a doctor if you think there is a need.

I drank off and on for 35 years. At 1 year, things are still not quite right, but it's better than the day before....
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Does your doctor know your drinking history?

If you are concerned, you should see your doctor.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody... I googled hypoglycemia and it sounds like what I have. I'm on a good diet that I started a few months ago. The wine was the last to go. I need to eat smaller meals more often during the day. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is something called post acute withdrawal syndrome (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Google it.
Many of the symptoms you are describing were talked about a lot when I went to rehab.
They called it PAWS
Uncomfortable - but common (although I agree with sugarbear1 - if in doubt see a doctor)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
It took me 9 months to feel a lot better. Every month was something new. I had word recall problems, dyslexic moments with brain, hands, off balance, not able to think. By 9 months everything was more clear. I notice new things a lot more.

Healing takes time. We didn't damage ourselves in one night. See a doctor if you think there is a need.

I drank off and on for 35 years. At 1 year, things are still not quite right, but it's better than the day before....
^ This.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

What lydia mentioned, PAWS, occurs with substance abusers in recovery and can last for months. I find myself forgetting simple tasks and dates and just generally feeling scrambled. We talked a lot about PAWS in the medical rehab groups i went to and in the family groups we still attend from time to time. If it's not the other medical condition it may just be PAWS and it will eventually pass. IMve hears it can last as long as a year but varies from person to person.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Displaced.
I am new to this forum and was afraid to talk about the symptoms - for fear it would be taken as medical advice.
And yes - I find myself a little clumsy, forgetful, sleepless, cranky - everything but the forgetful will pass (I've always had my head in the clouds )
Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a problem pronouncing words or using them in the correct syntax. I don't ever remember having this problem when I was drinking, but then again I don't remember much at all when I was drinking. I hope it goes away soon since I have to lead meetings at work.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I've noticed a lot of stuff like this too, and have accepted it as my brain working out the toxins from decades of abuse. I still have foggy days, even at almost 10 months. The oddest part for me has been that my demeanor is more directly related to the amount of sun or clouds in the sky. I have seasonal affective disorder, but it seems to be hair triggered now. A day of clouds puts me out.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
I'm 6 weeks sober. For the past 3 weeks I'm hit by something every few days. I forgot my pin# shopping and it's my birthday! It starts out with feeling weak and heavy droopy and dull..a headache comes on...my balance is off...clumbsy, I can't think and I forget...my speech is off. Eventually it wears off. I have eaten and drank gatorade but it doesn't help. I just go to bed. Is this a normal withdrawal or what? Never happened before. Thanks..in my 60's. I had a full checkup 3 months ago and I got a clean bill.
A lot can happen in 3 months.Just to be on the safe side, I would call my physician if I were you. It may be your blood pressure or any number of things. Or it could be nothing.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wouldn't brush this off without talking to a doctor. Don't want to scare u but speech probs, headaches, dizziness etc should not be down played. I work in a neuro intensive care unit so I always think the worst but I'd be getting a brain scan if I were you. All the best. X
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
I wouldn't brush this off without talking to a doctor. Don't want to scare u but speech probs, headaches, dizziness etc should not be down played. I work in a neuro intensive care unit so I always think the worst but I'd be getting a brain scan if I were you. All the best. X
You'd recommend a brain scan for everyone that's going through this at 6 weeks sober? For real?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
You'd recommend a brain scan for everyone that's going through this at 6 weeks sober? For real?
Slurred speech, dizziness, headache are possible signs and symptoms of a more serious issue. She isn't saying everyone should get a brain scan. The OP is concerned so she gave her opinion to the OP.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

its possible it was happening before you stopped drinking but ya didnt notice it because you were drunk or chalked it up to effects of drinking.
checkup 3 months ago and stopped drinking 6 weeks ago. i am guessing you prolly didnt tell yer doc you were drinking???
i highly suggest ya get back to yer doc and get honest with him/her.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
Slurred speech, dizziness, headache are possible signs and symptoms of a more serious issue. She isn't saying everyone should get a brain scan. The OP is concerned so she gave her opinion to the OP.
I talked to my doctor before I quit...This is what he told me to expect. I don't have any problem with consulting a doctor if something is not right. I do know brain scans are not cheap.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is exactly why giving medical advice on here is a no no. Hypothetically. A person is having these exact symptoms. They hear from everyone on here that its probably PAWS or withdraws. The persons says "oh well, I am ok, everyone else is having these symptoms, its normal." The person then has a more serious issue. Puts off calling or going to the doctor. Finds out they had a TIA or something else. This may have been avoided by calling their physician and letting them do their job. See my point?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
but I'd be getting a brain scan if I were you.
I think taking someone who is already scared and telling them this...Is irresponsible.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I think taking someone who is already scared and telling them this...Is irresponsible.
It is a bit over doing it. She should call her physician though.