Notices

Sober day 2!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober day 2!

So I made it to my ridiculously early workout class this morning ! This was 100% because I didn't drink last night!

Tonight poses a different challenge: it's my night off. This used to be a reason for drinks ( I can rationalize drinking for any situation) so I'm trying to keep busy with chores ect. But "the voice" is still trying to tell me why a drink is deserved ( I still don't know when alcohol became a reward?)

What do you tell the voice when it speaks to you?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I take the voice to a meeting and make it shut up
Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ignore it, tell it you don't drink, so any suggestion to the contrary is irrelevant.

I stopped engaging with that voice because I always lost those arguments.

Distraction always helps too though x
Old 05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Think about the other 'voice' that speaks to you the next morning when you feel like sh*t after drinking!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, that voice loves to tell me that I deserve a drink. My alcohol voice must be pretty out of shape, because it shuts right the hell up when I'm exercising. If I'm too tired to really work out, an easy stroll tends to help.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Distractions are good, as Hypo said. Tell it you have other plans. Maybe a 9 pm film is in order?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks! I think I'll go for a walk while my laundry is drying. Thanks everyone! Just posting those thoughts help and I appreciate your comments. *telling the voice to shut up as we speak*
Old 05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Angela, I am on day one again..and I think we just have to spend most of our days and nights at first telling it to shut up! We know better, we know how it always ends up, an its' much, much better waking up knowing you made it through another day.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just keep telling myself how good I'll feel tomorrow! Another glass of water for me!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remind myself that when I drink, my irresponcibilty could cause harm to those around me--things and events I can't foresee, if I am not fully alert like an adult should be, could result in great harm. I have proven that when I drink, I drink "too much." Therefore it is my duty to not drink. No argument by the AV can change this fact.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

In early recovery, I'd tell it that I would compromise and "maybe" entertain it tomorrow, but today, now, I choose to ignore it. Luckily, tomorrow just becomes another "today." It worked, then I worked the steps of AA.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I made it through another day because of you all. My apartment is spotless and I have a run to look forward to in the morning
Goodnight !
Old 05-29-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Day 2 subgroup (you and me so far as I know). Hang in there and tell that danged voice to go away. Or try visualizing putting a large piece of duct tape over that voice so you won't need to listen to it
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good job, Angela! Those cravings can get really uncomfortable, but I just kept telling myself they wouldn't last forever. Usually a good night's sleep (and waking up the morning without a hangover) put me in a positive frame of mind again.

It really does get easier over time, too......
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're doing well. I distract myself. Go workout, for a walk, do a chore, etc. Eventually the thought about drinking goes away and is often replaced by a thought about how glad I am that I didn't drink!

I also like to workout early in the morning. Reminding myself of how great my days are after being started with an early morning workout really helps to keep me away from booze, too.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Angela and Saskia- Day 2 for me too! Ha ha, I just posted one similar about the AV speaking to me as I was getting ready to crawl into bed. It was telling me to go to the store and get some wine to celebrate. Thanks for posting, I don't feel as crazy. I do feel like telling it to shut up though. I'm trying to throw myself into exercise this time around. Last time I was sober to a few months but I didn't have enough filling up my time. I hadn't gotten to the point yet where I could sit back and say to myself "you can have all of this" or you can have a "bottle". Im trying to build that this time around. Glad we're in this together.