Notices

help me

Old 01-01-2004, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

help me

Hello, Im an alcoholic and my problem is mike.would really appreciate some help i had my last drink last night after my first AA meeting went to a meeting tis morning really filled with anxiety and gitters, can some one help me get through this
Old 01-01-2004, 03:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Mike and welcome!

I moved this over to the Newcomers forum so you would recieve a proper welcome. Others will be along shortly to lend support. Glad you have taken that first and most important step! We'll be here for you.
Old 01-01-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi mike

my name is dotcom and im an addict. DOS 01-17-03. just wanted to say welcome, and let you know that youll be in my prayers!

dotcom
Old 01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Mike...

If you plan to stop drinking all at once, you must have medical supervision for your detox if any of the following are true for you:

1. If you have a history of blood pressure that is higher than 140/90.
2. If you have used more than a six pack of beer daily, more than six 4 oz. glasses of wine or more than eight ounces (half a pint) of liquor per day for over a year.
3. If you have had prior withdrawal symptoms, such as depression or agitation.
4. If you have ever had seizures for any reason, and in particular if you have had alcohol DT's.
5. If you are using any other (either illegal or prescription) drugs in combination with the alcohol. This particularly includes benzodiazipines such as Valium, Librium or Xanex.

Withdrawal from significant or long standing alcohol use can be a serious process. Keep yourself safe as you make this change. You are taking a very important and brave step.

Withdrawal symptoms can include depression, insomnia, sweating, tremulousness, agitation, irritability, and brain "fog."

Bleeding, swings in blood pressure, convulsuations, heart palpitations and hallucinations...means the ER.

Withdrawal usually starts 4-6 hours after the time you usually have your alcohol. If you drink every day at 6:00 PM, you will begin to experience discomfort that evening. If you have been a heavy drinker, your doctor may prescribe short term medication which will minimize the possibility of having seizures during detox.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mike and welcome. Glad you are here and keep coming back. You can do this, one day at a time. That's all you have to think about is today. Not tomorrow or next week, not even the past...just today. So make it a sober day and take the advise of others on this site. If you feel discomfort or experience physical ailments, best to get to a doctor.

Hang in there and glad you are here!

Laci
(Taking it one day at a time)
Old 01-01-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike and welcome to SR. You've found a great place to get support and encouragement. As others have said, just take it slow and try not to look too far into the future. It can be a bit overwhelming. Try to take care of your physical self and it will get better and easier as time goes on. Hang around and get to know us.

Love, Anna
Old 01-01-2004, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi mike!
welcome to sr, check out the chat room, if no-ones there private messgae someone, you can do that by clicking on there name, if i'm online i like to take naps in there check it out and wake me up!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mike !

Welcome to SR! and CONGRATS on your decision.

Take note of the suggestions re withdrawal, and hang in here , we are here for you

and remember ....1 day at a time

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-01-2004, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

congrats mike and keep going to meetings! and when that's not enough - stay in sober chat rooms or read the Big Book. Try and get a meeting a day in for the next 3 months (90/90) and commit to it. Make yourself a bet at least though - stay sober for at least 30 days with a meeting a day and listen (don't talk if you can) and see if anyone tells "your story".

I lost my bet a week and a half in!

Don't think, don't drink, go to a meeting. Good luck!

pad
Old 01-02-2004, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Mike,
Well done - you're braver than you think. Take it one minute at a time if you need to, post here whenever you need to, vent here whenever you need to - there's always someone here to help you...whenever you need it

Good luck and hang in there
HugZ
Sandra
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mike
Welcome to SR.
I wish you the best
Hugs
Irene
Old 01-02-2004, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Mike .I'm Joe and I'm an alcoholic ! been here about 4 weeks ..you'll find a lot of support and friendship here ..I know I have ..I quit booze about 8 weeks ago it's a great step to take and a brave one but well worth it ....i know that My liver wouldn't
have taken much more abuse!!
Keep at it!
LOL
Joe
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gift Of Encouragement

Welcome Mike keep comiming back not everyone gets it right the first time I sure didnt but I just stuck in there like a hair in a biscut and today my whole life is wonderfull even on the bad days. ((((((((HUGS))))))))) Steve
Old 04-08-2004, 06:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile To Mike

Mike - I was where you are 65 days ago...it is hard. You need to get a sponsor asap and a BIG BOOK and start working the steps. It has worked for me and it will work for you if you thoroughly follow the steps.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Welcome!

Welcome to SR and thanks for your posting,the suggestion about medical treatment is a good one! I see the gang has been here!I felt alot like you did 5 months ago,so i am here to tell you it gets much better.It is great youare goin to meetins!The program works! Trish (peace and prayers) :tri
Old 04-08-2004, 07:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Congratulations!

Welcome! The SR site is just great. Everyone is so supportive and helpful. There are a lot of wise people here. Hang in there!
Hugs and Prayers, Miss
Old 04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bird on the rise

Hang in there

Hey Mike,

All of the above especially the medical care part, one thing to add - when my ex went through this the docs recommended that he take in alot of fruit juice, helps to decrease the shock to your system. I'm keeping you in my prayers, stick around there are alot of great people here. Look forward to getting to know you.

Novemberphoenix
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

Smile welcome MIKE GLAD YOUR HERE!

HOPE YOUR FEELING BETTER,IT DOES TAKE TIME.B-VITIMINS ARE GOOD ALSO.STICK AROUND ,YOU CAN GET WELL! STAY STRONG ted :thumb
Old 04-09-2004, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Mike

Just checkin in too see how you are doin today? Let us know! We are pullin for ya!!!
Old 10-22-2023, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just found this and felt it's worth a boost. d
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Welcome Mike..

If you plan to stop drinking all at once, you must have medical supervision for your detox if any of the following are true for you:

1. If you have a history of blood pressure that is higher than 140/90.
2. If you have used more than a six pack of beer daily, more than six 4 oz. glasses of wine or more than eight ounces (half a pint) of liquor per day for over a year.
3. If you have had prior withdrawal symptoms, such as depression or agitation.
4. If you have ever had seizures for any reason, and in particular if you have had alcohol DT's.
5. If you are using any other (either illegal or prescription) drugs in combination with the alcohol. This particularly includes benzodiazipines such as Valium, Librium or Xanex.

Withdrawal from significant or long standing alcohol use can be a serious process. Keep yourself safe as you make this change. You are taking a very important and brave step.

Withdrawal symptoms can include depression, insomnia, sweating, tremulousness, agitation, irritability, and brain "fog."

Bleeding, swings in blood pressure, convulsuations, heart palpitations and hallucinations...means the ER.

Withdrawal usually starts 4-6 hours after the time you usually have your alcohol. If you drink every day at 6:00 PM, you will begin to experience discomfort that evening. If you have been a heavy drinker, your doctor may prescribe short term medication which will minimize the possibility of having seizures during detox.