Notices

I don't know where to start

Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know where to start

I need help. I've known for a while but this weekend's bender has shown me I've completely lost control when it comes to alcohol. My friends and family are worried about me and I'm sick of disappointing them. I can't afford rehab. I was looking into out-patient clinics but it's really overwhelming.

The w/d's are making it extremely difficult and they're starting to get worse. Where do I start?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome jeweljk...Any way you can talk to a doctor about making detoxing easier?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can. Do I just call my regular physician? I tell them I'm w/d? I always figured it would have to be a dr. specializing in such treatment.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Get to a doctor ASAP. Alcohol withdrawl can be deadly. After going through a safe detox it's time to enact a plan of action. Have you considered a step program like AA? It's worked wonders for me and it's free! Willpower alone won't keep you sober. Whatever you chose to do, keep a step program in mind. They've worked for a lot of people and when worked honestly and earnestly, they can work for you.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jewel - welcome

I think your regular Dr is a good place to start - if you want a Dr with a knowledge of addiction you can always look for that later?

So you're open to the idea of face to face help and support?

D
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Your family doctor is a great place to start. Let him/her know about your struggles and symptoms. They can either perscribe you something, help you with a plan of action with your detox or refer you to where you need to go for detox. Being honest with the docs is the most important thing. They're very compassionate.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes I want face to face help. I want it to be a stranger, so I may find someone besides my regular doctor. I think I'm gonna go Wednesday since I work a double tomorrow (going to be hell. I can't stop throwing up, sweating, nausea, etc) Any advice on how to get me through a double at work tomorrow? I can't get out of it.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Be careful. Risk of DTs can start at 24 hours after the first drink and last for days. If you can make it to a doctor earlier, like a walk in clinic or call in sick, do it. Your health is paramount. Perhaps call the doctor and make the appointment for Wednesday and ask to speak with the nurse. Tell him/her your problem with work and see if he/she can give you advice.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the withdrawals are bad you may be better off seeing a Dr than trying to work a double shift, jewel.

As far as other support goes, there's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well I think you know now to be careful with detox, but as for where to start you already did.

Look forward to hearing how your doing.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree. You already started. Your foot is in the door. Now please speak to a doctor about what you're going through. Some of us have done detoxing on our own but it is extremely dangerous and is a complete roll of the dice.