Notices

Class of May 2012 Part 2

Old 05-26-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Lilac, we're neighbors then--especially when you live in a place where the next town over is 50 miles away.

Seems like we have a fair share of Westerners on this thread-- and now one more! Welcome Dogstar!

Payton, glad you made it through the night! I need to try one of these Ginger beers, though I'm sure I'd have to order them online. One of my favorite alternative beverages (besides sparkling waters) is San Pellegrino. They just came out with two new flavors -- blood orange and grapefruit. The latter I find really refreshing.

Leemzer and Roosta, congrats on Day 23! KittyCat, congrats on Day 2! SoberJaneDoe, I'm right there with you on Day 15 today.

akazia, it sounds like this Memorial Day will go much better for you! I ran to the store last night and a cop pulled up while I was there. If this had been last Memorial Day (or any of them) I probably would have been nervous, for good reason. It was nice not to have to worry about an evening run to the store -- except for all the other drunks on the road.

To everyone else celebrating days today -- keep on truckin!

I'm going to go mow the lawn. If I don't come back it's not because I picked up, but because a 60 mph gust picked me up and flung me across the neighborhood.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Hey, Class of May. A group hug welcome to all new joiners.

Woo, hoo! So many wonderfully triumphant stories of sobriety strength here in the past couple of days! I am so proud of all of us. As I tell my kids, raise your hands up high with palms facing backwards, reach down and pat yourselves on the back for doing a phenomenal job. Simply awesome, boaters.

Clocking in around lunchtime here. Gorgeous sunny, breezy day today. Slept in deliciously late, made an extra-big mug of high-test java, caught up with a friend, and now getting ready to run out to accomplish errands.

My house to clean
for sparkling sheen.
Turn on the vac,
it's Day 14.

Hope you're all able to enjoy this lovely Saturday. I'll check in again later on.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

How is everything going, Fdm? Please drop us a line when you can.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi guys.
I'm on day 1 after a horrendous relapse last night. It would have been 7 weeks yesterday.
I'm feeling very wobbly and vulnerable at the moment. All my own fault.
I would like to join this thread if that's ok.
Gave myself a real scare last night and I don't ever want to be in that place again xx
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hey Jeni Take it easy on yourself today hon... try to relax and get some rest! Thinking of you...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeni,
I am so glad you stayed with SR and joined our group.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

@Dogstar, I live in Boulder, CO...just down the road from you! Hi
Welcome Jeni, glad you made it here
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeni and Dogstar!

I had a weird experience this morning: I thought I'd go to a 10am AA meeting. I was up early and rushed around to try to get my usual saturday morning errands done before 10am then sped to the meeting place and when I got there, I just thought about how I don't want to spend an hour of a day talking about my alcohol use, it seems too depressing and there were only 3 other people there, one of whom I know professionally and that made me uncomfortable. Then I wanted to drink. Badly. So I didn't even get out of my car, I left to do the remaining errands on my list.All the while I had to fight the thoughts of drinking. Maybe I'll try another meeting tomorrow. Or maybe church. Maybe I really need to focus less on how I drank and more on how I want to live my life from this point forward. The past is done. I can create my future right now.

I am getting a lot done today before noon. Hopefully I'll get a good workout in...no outside run today because the wind gusts are huge!

Deserto, careful mowing the lawn in this SW hurricane! That's nuts!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Jeni -- good for you to have the courage to say something and the strength to start again so soon with Day One! Jobei said it right, take it easy on yourself.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Hey all, Day 10 for me! Yesterday got a little tricky for me because I had planned on cooking a healthy and delicious dinner for myself and the girlfriend, but her happy hours went long and it got too late to start cooking. This left me home by myself bummed out with all sorts of good food not being cooked and the desire to spend the cooking time drinking. I was able to get through it because I really wanted to make it to 10 days. Although this worked for me last night, I am concerned it might not have worked if it was a more "random" number day coming up. I guess it's all a process, but I think I need to work on making a list of reasons why I am not going to drink or something like that for when situations like this come up.

On a brighter note, I woke up nice and early today refreshed and not-hungover. I had a really good workout this morning and one of my friends even said something to the affect of "who are you today" based on my kick-ass sober workout skills

Everybody have a sober, safe and fulfilling Memorial Day weekend. (I wish non US people a good weekend too, but it'll probably involve with less barbecue)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IllNeverTell View Post
I had a really good workout this morning and one of my friends even said something to the affect of "who are you today" based on my kick-ass sober workout skills
This is awesome, congrats on 10 days.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Diez de Mayan

Greetings Class,

I really really don't like "holidays''. I am somewhat of a loner and don't like being around crowds of noisy people especially of they have been drinking.

So today I am hibernating inside and cooking myself a nice meal of pork chops and stuffing. Hubby has to work all weekend as usual. Going to watch at least two movies today and tonight. And do some research on some stuff my husband wants me to look up and a little bit of transcription work. Then off to a meeting tonight. It's going to be a really hot, humid day today so that's another reason for me to stay inside. I sound like a grinch but ick..hot weather and lots of drunken noisy people (I live in a tourist town). Much rather be a hermit today and venture out tonight when it's cooler!

Day 23 off Ativan and alcohol! I have a quit date set for stopping smoking on July 4th. I have my 7 mg nicotine patches all set. I'm going to use that with the gum.

I start my ballroom classes again next Wednesday. So excited to be back in a dance studio again. I have to take the foundation ballroom over again because it's been such a long time since I've taken classes.

So going to have a quiet day today then plan something fun for tomorrow. I like to have at least one FUN day a week, and relearn how to have fun without alcohol. So going to look up something to do for tomorrow!

Monday someone in our homegroup is celebrating two years and I'm the cake person. I like to customize the cakes tailored to the person's interests or hobbies. So I'm looking forward to doing the cake tomorrow also.

So going to be checking in on and off all day today, everyone take care this weekend and have a nice sober weekend!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seahorse207 View Post
Monday someone in our homegroup is celebrating two years and I'm the cake person. I like to customize the cakes tailored to the person's interests or hobbies. So I'm looking forward to doing the cake tomorrow also.
That is awesome...I want you for my homegroup.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
then sped to the meeting place and when I got there, I just thought about how I don't want to spend an hour of a day talking about my alcohol use, it seems too depressing and there were only 3 other people there, one of whom I know professionally and that made me uncomfortable.
Can I just make one suggestion...Try a couple different meetings..Find one with some more people in it and you don't have to share anything...Just go and listen for awhile....My sponsor told me not to talk for the first 30 days...Which was good...Because I had a lot to learn.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeni26, and Jobei is right, don't be hard on yourself, but do take as much time as necessary to reflect on why you relapsed. I relapsed on and off over the past 3 months until 8 days ago, when I was smashed, and my Mom and Aunt had to come and get me and nurse me back to health with the help of my Dad and his wife. I was 8 days sober up until my 3 day bender. Each time you fall, you must stand up with greater resolve to get your mind right. It's hard for all of us this Memorial Day Weekend from all the posts I've read, but each of us individually and as a group can and will do this, and so will you.

I wish I had more time to send a shout out to everyone who posted so many personal things over the past day, but I have to get to a birthday party where I will be knee deep in sparkling water. But even though I might not be getting forked up, I can promise you, as you, and everyone else on this board knows and has said in their various posts over the past week, it feels so DAMN good to wake up without that killer hangover, and besides that, it feel DAMN good not to see the Dr. Jeckyl side of you come up and then have to hear about it the next day without an ounce of rememberance. So hang in there Jeni, and everyone else starting again. It took me several serious falls before I've promised myself that I am going to SERIOUSLY dedicate myself to getting and remaining sober.

I kind of wish there was a May graduating class - or indeed a graduating class for each month - so that our groups can stay together. It's been a source of so much comfort and stability for me to have all of you around these past few weeks. Well, I will be back on here later tonight, but Jeni, for you, I want to re-post a link to a celebrity from your side of the big drink (albeit he's Scottish, but don't hold that against him (=. I just re-watched it this morning and it's quite a fine piece of motivational television:

Craig Ferguson Speaks From The Heart - YouTube

All of you, stay strong today. And smile at people as they walk by. I've noticed there's so many people with too many serious expressions on their faces. One smile begets another smile begets another.

And don't forget to pay it forward ...

Check ya'll later.

Harpo
Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hey Harpo... Dee will keep your group going in the daily support forums.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Jobei - no kidding, that's SERIOUSLY some great news. Thanks for the 411.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

My workplace called and they don’t need me till 7pm tonight. I am on overtime and they are not busy. I am so glad because I am exhausted! It also gives me time to get back to some of my May classmates.

Harpo-great post and I look forward to staying with you all for the next year and celebrating our 1-year together!

Seahorse-Fun is what its all about…have as much of it as you can.

Tanja, IllNeverTell and Lilac-You may want to do the AVRT free online class. It really helped my thinking process and I made a big plan that no longer gives me the option of drinking. That’s not to say I don’t get urges, of course I do. But I have been around others who have been drinking now quite a few times in my 2 weeks of sobriety and drinking is not an option for me. It helps that I have a very supportive partner. If I have a problem one day and asked him not to drink to support me, he would not drink. I also made sure my best friend knows that I have quit and that it is important that he not offer me alcohol. I still have not gone out to a bar or to a house party because I just don’t want to put myself in that position. Its not that I don’t trust myself, it’s just that I would feel so out of place…I wish you all success.

FP-I LOVE your posts. I just got my house done yesterday. Is it the 2-week itch?

Lee and roosta-Awesome! Day 23. You both sound great.

Deserto- You inspire me and you seem to always have the right words to help others.

Flick-I wish you a great sober weekend. I’m glad you found new living arrangements. That should make things easier. You have your whole life ahead of you. Thank goodness you made the change now, can you imagine being a 14 year old trapped inside a 40 year old body. You have the energy and sobriety to do anything you put your mind to now. Be proud!

Weasel-I hope you are doing well. I wish you strength this weekend!

I could keep going down the list but I won’t. I just am so glad Jeni came back and can really see the difference we all can make. Feeling a little mushy…
Have a Great weekend everyone!!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Man we have a ton of Colorado peeps!

It sounds like everyone is coping pretty well with the weekend so far. I am so proud of this group. You are all awesome people. I'm also thrilled that our may group will be here going forward.

Jeni, glad you came back to SR and joined this group!

I'm at work...busy day and I'm off at 8. I am so so happy I stayed tough last night. I had Reeds Ginger beer and have another waiting for me at home.

I had a really vivid dream that I went to an AA meeting. I think this means that I should go to one. I am concerned though - is it Christian based, or would it be appropriate for a Buddhist too?

Looking forward to hearing how you are all doing this evening....
Old 05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Day five.
Doing well and staying busy. Wish I had more time to linger here.
Reading everyones posts soothes my mind, gives me courage. Thank you.
Welcome to all who have recently joined, so happy you are here!!