Notices

Question about what Daytrader said in another thread...

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about what Daytrader said in another thread...

This was a post that DayTrader made to Snackle.

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I'd suggest finding out if you have a drinking problem or if it's alcoholism. --AA is a great tool in that regard and I'd be happy to help. If you have a drinking problem, there's a lot of help for that. If you have alcoholism, the "treatment" is completely different but as/more successful.

I was just wondering what your opinion was between the two and would like to know what others thought of a "drinking problem" and "alcoholism".

Hope this is okay!
Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would like to here the answer also Bayliss, good question
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my opinion, the difference between a "drinking problem" and "alcoholism" is that people with drinking problems often haven't yet realized they are--or haven't yet become--an alcoholic.

This is not the same as saying there is no difference, or that every person with a drinking problem is an alcoholic. That's clearly not the case. Some people go through periods of problem drinking caused by a specific event -- grief, loss of a job, being young, going to college -- but then get their act together.

But I would think that if you've tried repeatedly to control your drinking problem and failed -- it's probably not just a drinking problem.

My two cents, anyway.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even if they're different or the same, they're still deadly. Everyone has their own definition.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

True. I have asked this question in the past myself. I just don't often see it in these threads and it always leads me to questioning what the difference is.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In my experience, the phrase below holds quite true:

The difference between a problem drinker and an Alcoholic is that:

A) When the alcohol is taken away from the problem drinker, the problem goes away.
B) When the alcohol is taken away from the Alcoholic, the problem begins.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I think I wrote a ton about this in a different thread. I'm too lazy to go back and see hat I wrote, so maybe I'm contradicting myself here, but I think the term problem drinker is just a euphemism for someone who drinks alcoholically.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And if the alcohol is taken away from the alcoholic what sort of problems ensue?
Are we talking physical withdrawal? More drinking? Long term drinking?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
And if the alcohol is taken away from the alcoholic what sort of problems ensue?
Wailing, screaming, gnashing of teeth, baby-like tantrums... and a feeling of deep injustice and victimization.

Or at least, that's what I've seen in other people
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What if you don't experience that at all?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post
Are we talking physical withdrawal? More drinking? Long term drinking?
Have you read "The Doctor's Opinion" in the Big Book ? You can google it and read it.
Google and read 'How It works" as well.
See if you can identify.

If drinking was the "only" problem, then AA would only have one Step:
"Don't put the bottle in your mouth"

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Bob. I will make sure to check that out.

That's how I am feeling though. Just don't put the bottle to my mouth and that is the end of it. Of course I like the high and that is what I think about. That and it was such a routine. But I am going to check out the links now.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I would say the difference between the two is that alcoholism means a physical and psychological dependence on alcohol, whereas a problem drinker may binge drink on a given occasion and then go long periods without touching a drop.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

For those interested, here is what the book “Alcoholics Anonymous” says about the distinction between “problem drinkers” and “alcoholics”.

Regarding problem drinkers it says, “drinking may be constant or it may be heavy only on certain occasions. Perhaps he spends too much money for liquor. It may be slowing him up mentally and physically, but he does not see it. Sometimes he is a source of embarrassment to you and his friends. He is positive he can handle his liquor, that it does him no harm, that drinking is necessary in his business. He would probably be insulted if he were called an alcoholic. This world is full of people like him. Some will moderate or stop altogether, and some will not. Of those who keep on, a good number will become true alcoholics after a while.

Regarding “alcoholics” it states, “He often gets entirely out of hand when drinking. He admits this is true, but is positive that he will do better. He has begun to try, with or without your cooperation, various means of moderating or staying dry. Maybe he is beginning to lose his friends. His business may suffer somewhat. He is worried at times, and is becoming aware that he cannot drink like other people. He sometimes drinks in the morning and through the day also, to hold his nervousness in check. He is remorseful after serious drinking bouts and tells you he wants to stop. But when he gets over the spree, he begins to think once more how he can drink moderately next time. We think this person is in danger. These are the earmarks of a real alcoholic.”

All quotes are from the 1st edition
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm no expert but to me it seems the difference is just a matter of awareness. An alcoholic knows that his problem drinking is a problem but finds it hard to stop.

It seems to be human instinct to want to split people up and put them in boxes but I'm not sure it helps anyone. From the variety of people on SR I reckon there's more than just a few different 'types' of 'alcoholic'.

That doesn't stop me from occasionally comparing myself to someone else and then thinking 'I'm not an alcoholic, woo hoo!' though
Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I mulled this whole question over for months. It kept me intellectualizing about the real meaning of "alcoholism" which then enabled me to sip away at my wine as I pondered my ponderings.

zorah
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

One more quote from “Alcoholics Anonymous” first edition (april 1939).

"We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself, Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition."
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
never alone again

Cool

alcohol and other things, were only symptons of my disease. I am the problem. I am ruled by hundreds of fears, insecurites, resentments, and character defects.

Alcohl(ism) I--self--me. Selfish and selfcentered. Everything had to be my way, and in the real world I don't always get my way or what I want. I had to change to way I felt, so I drank and used.
I was spiritually dead and hopeless. If I am always thinking of myself I am blocked off from the spirit of my higher power.

How wonderful it is to know that I am the problem, and that is something I can change.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The problem I have with this is that drawing a sharp distinction between a "problem drinker" and an "alcoholic" implies that there is a qualitative difference between the two when in fact it may be more like a spectrum, where one stage may gradually merge into another. This condition may be evolutionary, and prolonged "problem drinking" may turn into alcoholism. When and how fast this happens may depend on a multitude of factors, some genetic, others, cultural, others family related, others volitional, etc. etc. Folks who have "recovered" or are "in recovery" may claim expertise in these matters but I suspect that these are murky waters indeed.

W.