Notices

New Start

Old 05-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Start

Hello all, been browsing this awesome forum all day and thought it was about time I posted. (Hope it's the right thread). I'm male, 26 and been drinking pretty much every day for the last 5 years or so and like everyday I've decided to quit but hopefully this time it is for good. I feel pretty good at the moment but I know it won't always be like this so I hope I can come on here and get some support when I need it.

First question of many: as well as the booze I also want to quit smoking, but not sure if I should get some sober time under my belt first or if would be better to quit both at the same. Interested in your opinions, hope you're all doing well and I look forward to chatting with you all!

(On reflection this question has probably been covered extensively but I've already typed it now!)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Easyrider, well done for choosing sobriety. This forum is great and will help your recovery a lot.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome to SR, a great place to get help and support from people who don't judge and who really understand x
I can only speak from my very limited experience of being 6 weeks sober, which seems a lifetime to me but am really a newbie compared to a lot of other folks here! I tried to give up smoking quite early on, but it was a disaster, and I decided not to beat myself up about it, but to concentrate on my sobriety.
I will quit the cigarettes when I'm stronger and more comfortable and confident in my ability to deal with it.
Others here have quit both together and coped very well, but afraid I'm not one of them!
Good luck with your journey, and keep posting x
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Easyrider! For me I chose to quit smoking and drinking at the same time because they went hand n hand for me.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah thanks for your comments guys. I started the day wanting to quit both at the same time but decided to keep smoking as a compromise. Even though they too go hand in hand for me. Being sober is more important to me at the moment so I guess the smoking will have to wait a while.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I quit drinking over two years ago - now it's time to tackle the smoking...

Welcome to the SR family! :ghug3