Notices

Does anybody else have memory problems due to drug use?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anybody else have memory problems due to drug use?

Well I say drug use, but alcohol and eating disorders can pickle your brains surely as any psychoactive. I don't drink but I have been eating disordered for 19 years, and beset by drug use for 4 years and I...don't remember things.

Even after waiting out half lives, withdrawal symptoms, lifestyle adjustments, it's as though the fog just won't clear. Memory is a compost, but mine appears to be the compost of composts: for I can't intuitively distinguish between dream, fear, and what actually happened. If I don't write things down, I will never know the difference.

And I haven't written many things down. There are holes in my life.

It's really, really hard to explain this to people, especially if they ask about some element of youth or childhood that is supposed to be formative. It feels as though I am lying, appropriating somebody else's life, or a composite of others' lives. It means I find the notion of sincerity really hard to grasp.

Lucky I'm not presently looking for a job, or else I'd have a very hard time with my CV

*sigh*

It's Wonderland, it's Edgar Allen Poe's dream within a dream, it's Chuang Tzu dreaming he was a butterfly and then unsure on waking if he WAS Chuang Tzu waking, or if he was the butterfly now dreaming he was Chuang Tzu. It's the Matrix, it's Gregor Samsa waking and finding himself inexplicably transformed into a giant bug.

Am I just super weird, or does anyone else have this problem? And how do you deal with it?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR rhizome...I forgot what I was going to say....Yeah...My memory was shot for the first month....Like anything else with sobriety...It takes time. Glad to have you here.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am a heavy drinker and cocain user. I have memory issues. When I stay sober for a few days ( longest I have done is 6 days) things get better.

Welcome to SR!!

Glad your here.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dreadful manners on my part...yes, hello everybody :-p And thank you for the welcome sapling and weasel

May I ask: when you say it takes time, do you mean this problem does completely go away? After how long? The longest sober period I had was just over 3 months, and my memory was as bad as ever. Maddening! Sometimes I relapse because drugs at least give a tangible reason for being absent minded...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't say I ever had a perfect memory...But at 10 months mine gets better every day. My first two months were pretty foggy...The first one forget it. I did forget it. I'm sure it's different for everyone...But it does come back to you.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was alcohol too...I don't know what kind of drugs you were using or how much...I was drinking pretty heavy.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us have memory problems for a while rhizome.

I was an alcoholic and pot user - I had other issues as well (I suffered some ministrokes in detox) so it was well over a year before my memory really came back.

You have every reason to expect your timeframe will be shorter than that

Welcome to SR

D
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

My memory finally just started improving a few months ago, and I'm at 13 months. It sure can take time. Some people seem to see an improvement almost immediately. For me it took a little longer. I expect that my memory will never quite return to the levels it was at originally though.

It's all good though. I'm sober, alive and relatively happy and that's all that matters.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Huh? What was the question?

Yeah, it can change, though. Give time time and stay stopped!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welp, the memories of my past were pretty boggled up when i 1st got into recovery. there were a lot of things i really didnt know if they were real events or not. over time, i started my past clearer and still have memories from my past pop up, and thats 7 years after my last drunk.
as for my memory today, its scattered. hell, i can have a hard time remembering what i did this morning, but i know i did it sober!