Notices

Quitting in a relationship.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting in a relationship.

I can do it this time, and keep it... after 2 days of detox the anxiety has largely subsided, but I keep grinding my teeth and I am just generally achy. Watching old movies, getting ready for work tomorrow, and choosing not to drink. I think I posted here once that I was going to try and moderate, but I don't think that's me. I am an alcoholic, and I need to be sober.

Thanks for all the help and support of this community. I've been coming here for a few years now, but have always fallen back into my old habits. The longest I succeeded in sobriety was the entire month of November 2011... moderated successfully for a few months after that, and then started the cycle of drinking off hangovers again.

Still an extremely happy person for the most part, amazing family and friends-- blessed life. I've been in a relationship with a person for about a year and a half now, and we both drink together... often too much, and there's been a lot of negative encouragement in that regard. Has anyone in a relationship ever tried to get sober together? Or switch to positive encouragement?

Anyway, I know what I have to do. I'll be back for help and advice.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Ever since my relapse Friday night, my husband has decided to quit drinking with me. Last night, he poured us both glasses of ice water and he came over and said, "Hope it's not too strong for you", as he gave me my water. We laughed and then he said cheers. It really depends on your relationship and your husband's drinking in comparison to yours. Also, do you both drink for the same reasons? Would you be able to come up with a recovery plan together? I think that's important so you don't fall back into old patterns when things get tough (and there will be hard days). I hope you two can find a positive way to get sober together.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yes. My partner and I have been trying to quit together. It adds yet another element to deal with other than those alone. Makes it more challenging to be honest.

If I am strong he is not... If he is I am not. We tend to undermine each other. Yet we both try and talk about it all the time what we need to do. At nausium.

Been together 18 years. How do you deal with long standing habits in the middle of a whirlwind of change and emotion.

Case in point. This morning I wanna kill him. He is having anxiety when I am more focused. I decided to disconnect from him so I can stay sober. That hurts to do and not always possible.

This post sounds so negative but I am not really. Just quitting in a relationship has a different dynamic.

Sorry this is less advice than need to vent. Best of luck to you and yours.

ULTIMATELY sobriety is yours to own. No excuses.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

My wife of eight years is an addict -- she's currently in rehab, whereas last year this time, I was, for alcoholism. It's hard as hell for both of us to be clean and sober at the same time, but we keep working on it. It's really easy for us to build resentments towards each other, but on the flip side, it's also really easy for us to understand each other's "problems" and be supportive of the other finding a solution. So yeah, it's a different dynamic, and it doesn't always work, but I'm grateful that my wife has stood by me and I'm thankful that I can understand what she's going through and be there for her.

--Fenris.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good news today, passed the full two days and two nights mark-- and this morning I dare say I feel good. Didn't wake up to anxiety and haven't been teeth-grinding... no headache. Ate a good breakfast, got a ton of work done before noon, and I'm going to a "movie night" with some friends. I want to come back here a week from today and tell you guys I am still right on track. Thanks for the support.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you on two days WaterofLife! I also have a situation where my wife and I have aided and abetted each others' drinking. I think it is more challenging though I guess it isn't super easy for most people to stop. Best of luck.