Notices

Text book alcoholic seeks help.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Ryan62686 View Post
Well by text book i mean what the books say, 5 binge drinks a week makes you an alchie...if that's so I've been one since high school... but that's bs.... wanting alcohol every day is alcoholism to me. That's where me and my wife are at.... at least it still makes her sleepy (sleeping).
That's fine with me. I just thought I'd put out a brief synopsis of AA's definition. They've been around a while and kinda know a lot about alcoholism. If you want to use your definition, that's ok. In AA, we separate "heavy drinkers" from "alcoholic drinkers" from "alcoholics with alcoholism."
Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think i'll give AA a try, but will still use this forum. Let me share a song though, my great grandfather was in the band before sent to British prison shortly thereafter, no publishing just re-upping on youtube.
...youtube.com/watch?v=x1YhgZRHfYw]

Rebel Songs - Irish Republican Army - YouTube[/url]

join those
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Welcome, Ryan. As I'm sure you have figured out, you have come to the right place for your recovery. Prayers, my friend.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is a good one Ryan--used to sing it at the Feis when I was a kid.
Come Out Ye Black And Tans - YouTube
You know what's funny? My grandfather was IRA, my pop was very intense on the whole thing, and sure, so was I, but, something in my mind laments the loss of any British soldier anywhere as much as his American counterpart. It's like we are the same.

I hate violence; I'm glad the peace treaty in Ireland is holding up pretty well. Chaos is nothing to be proud of; plenty of over-the-top instigators on both sides, being unreasonable, enjoying the power that came from the troubles.

Now of course back to business; you know what needs to be done. If your wife is on board, that's half the battle. Start doing PT and finding other activities together instead of the drink, adopt new hobbies, set some new objectives, and by all means, keep posting. Your concerns about drinking too much are clearly valid. What more would a marine need to know in order to take action?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well said scrambled, I can tell you things 1000 times better than b4, life to short for that ****.
And if def to short to **** it down the drain also
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

you know I don't feel like an alcoholic.

what is it supposed to "feel" like to ba an alcoholic?
instead of giving AA a "try", PLEASE give it a "do". it has worked for millions of alcoholics since 1935 when we pout in the footwork and do what is suggested.
"many of us have TRIED to hold onto our old ideas and the result was nil....
theres thousands of veterans in the fellowship who have experienced exactly what you have and can help you get out from under.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Welcome, hope you find your way to an enjoyable life without alcohol. You either are or not and you stated you are an alcoholic, so the question is can you cut down and not drink so much? Only your experience will show if that is possible, for me once I crossed that line I could not come back. I had to lose everything in my life for me to completely surrender and ask for help, i went back and forth and tried alot of ways to stop my madness, it only prolonged the ineviteable-loss of self. My second sponsor was a marine and what a wonderful man-helped me rebuild my life w/o alcohol/drugs-(of course he guided me through the steps) i thank God for being sober because I don't question or flip flop anymore I know if I drink and yeah there might be a couple of times i can control it but there will be a time where yeah you guessed it I will cross no jump over that line again; I will be at that same lonely place again, even if someone is still around me.

Just give A.A. a little time and just put half the effort in A.A. as you did with your drinking and see what happens, not everybody has to lose everything to regain life again! Practice, practice, and practice we become good at what we practice! That was good that you had 6 months but was there a 12 step program behind it or was it self will? I quit once on self will also but always went back. 12 step program worked for me but there are other ways just find what works that keep you sober, but sober is abstinence not social drinking.

If you are just trying to quit for your body you will not have to try real hard because it will decide for you, liver will become so ill it will start to quit and then you won't have to drink so much for the effect of drunkness, everything will turn yellow (caution) and if you keep drinking of course along with your liver, pancrease, kidness, and your heart, your organs will quit for you because they will keep going until they can't! Remember alcohol is basically a poison to the body and when you overload your body time to time your organs have no other choice but to quit. My sponsor reminded of this when I came to the program- I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and wanted to stop the madness!

It takes real courage to ask for help and state I can't do this on my own, congratulations, this is a begininng! Keep coming back and I will pray for you! One day at a time we live sober! God Bless you on your journey!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ryan the "obsession" is what seperates Alcoholics from ordinary drinkers.
I drank normally....as I thought for a couple of years.
Then something Happened....I crossed that Invisable line..Into
been obsessed with it.
Even when I was off it for a few Months
deep down... to be honest, a good Pizz up was lurking in the back of my mind.
I was hospitalised many times in Mental hospitals.
I Needed to drink...what would I do without it...it had me..hooked.
I eventually Got hooked on Drugs as well....they Covered me when I
was not Drinking......What a Life.

When I eventually threw in the Towel,as they say in AA...I got Sober.
I attended AA meeting....still carrying the Obsession...For Months,but TG it eventually left.
Im 26 years away from the Daily dose of Alcohol....or Drugs.
I had,Deep Anger,Resentments,Violent Temper,and More.
This is the stuff that made me Drink.
I had to Change the way I thought and acted....using the Steps.

Really I had to get Honest with myself.

Today I dont need Alcohol to cope...it would only dull my emotions.
Once I was lost but now Im Found...Good Luck to ye both.
I could never do it on my own....no one can.
I will always need Support...I now attend ACA to help me Sort out Childhood Issues.
My Soul was attacked regurally when I was a boy...By Substance addicted Parents,Bullies,etc.
The greatest gift i ever recieved was the Laundry list of ACA.
It described me to a tee...