Notices

just another relapse withdrawal question

Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just another relapse withdrawal question

Hi all

Newbie here, English is not my native language either so please bear with me:

After binge drinking for the past 2.5 years(6-7 tall cans/day), I was sober for the last 14 days. My withdrawal symptoms peaked at 48 hrs and I went to the E.R. with a high blood pressure/rapid heart rate/severe anxiety/insomnia/sweats and the great feeling of a nauseous stomach. Spent 12 hrs at E.R. just to see the doc and given nothing to alleviate my symptoms in the meantime. Doc send me home with 8x10mg valium pills, i used a total of 20mg in the following 48 hrs with reducing dosages to fight with insomnia. Cut to chase; I was a totally new person just after 5 days of my last drink, I slept like babies, laughed, cried, conversed with people and enjoyed a fresh breath..

Well, I got cocky, the old me came back and drank 5x500 ml 5% beer last night (why did I do that?) and woke up exactly 5 hrs after my last drink with the exact withdrawal symptoms I had two weeks ago.

I guess I don't need mention the absolutely fantastic feeling of your usual and customary alcolic's relapse remorse: shame/self betreyal/add bad word here. I guess these are not helping with my relapse withdrawal symptoms either.

I guess I am finally convinced myself that I can never drink alcohol again like a normal person do. Live and learn.

Fast forward to the present minute and here is my question, and I appreciate any input on the matter.

Given the parameters above, how worried should I be about the relapse withdrawal? Is it going to be the same intensity/duration as with the last one? Even worse God forbid?

Just the thought of going through the whole thing again is making me sick.

The best is yet to come; I've an 18hr road trip coming up and I'm the sole driver, I'm leaving tonight, cancelling is not an option. Since I'm going to drive, I can't take valium that's been left over from my first withdrawal either...

I just hope I can get over this rather quick and easy, compared to my first withdrawal of course..

I need your advise to how to tackle this one, please help.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

No one can answer that question, which is why alcohol withdrawl is always tricky and potentially dangerous. Withdrawl symptoms are not something that can be predicted accurately.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dr told me to go to detox when I was at the ER, so I know the answer if I were to go ER again. Besides, most of them never drank like I did, they seemed have some prejudice and attitude towards me..

It seems I've grossly misjudged my situation.
Drinking one night/week was my routine before I've started abusing alcohol. I certainly didn't expect having withdrawal symptoms again. I don't know how stupid one can one person be but I must be close.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I wish you well on your trip. If you don't believe in a power greater than you, you may just want to say some prayers anyway.

Just for your information, daily drinking is not binge drinking; it's daily drinking.

Hopefully you will make it through this car ride. I'd start AA or another program soon.

Bet wishes,
Old 05-12-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by expired View Post
I don't know how stupid one can one person be but I must be close.
You're not stupid...You're an alcoholic....Alcoholics aren't stupid people..They are sick people. And there are ways to get better. I'd suggest looking into one so you don't have to keep doing this over and over. AA worked for me and I was hopeless...There are other ways....Find one. And work it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As you relapse/withdraw/relapse/withdraw the withdrawals get worse. Google "alcohol withdrawal kindling effect" to learn more.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome.

Now I'm back to square one but it will be harder this time.

I'll get over this, I want my life back.

Thank you for all replies, I'll join a local support groups asap, who knows I may even make new friends, I've lost so many to alcohol..

Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by expired View Post
I'll join a local support groups asap, who knows I may even make new friends, I've lost so many to alcohol..
Most of the friends I have today are friends from AA. I can't think of a better group of people to hang out with than people with the same problem I have working the same solution I am. It just makes too much sense.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i worry.

i havent drunk for about 3 months now, however i was never a really heavy drinker. more of a weekend drinker. when i did quit i did have insomnia and restless nights sleeping, although this could have something to do with my blood pressure as well, my doctor finally has me on medication for that. (I'm only 31, bloody hereditary stuff). before the tablets i stopped for a weekend and had more restless sleep. id like to have a drink now and again but i don't know if its me being drinking since i was a teen or whether its this kindling effect or not....
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marc

None of us are Doctors I'm afraid - it might be the alcohol...or it might not.

Have you thought about running this by your Dr at all? You might get a definite answer that way?

Welcome to SR anyway

D