Notices

Another newbie!!!!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Another newbie!!!!

Hello....

I am a newbie both to sobriety and to this forum, though I have been a lurker for awhile.

I will be starting my first treatment for alcohol on Monday, in an out-patient basis as I have a stable place to live (live alone) and I have a great job I don't want to lose.

I've been sober for 3 days, which doesn't seem like much when typing it but it's been really difficult. Went to my first AA meeting and felt immediately better.......so nice to be around other people that are going through the same thing you are.........

I haven't hit a bottom yet and I'm hoping by doing this intervention on myself that I won't.....yes, I had a DWI over two years ago, which only made my drinking worse as I went from drinking out with friends to drinking by myself....lol

I'm here now writing and reading a lot as I keep having thoughts in my head about having one last night of drinking........and I know it's a horrible decision. Has anyone had "one last night" that actually was their last night? The smart/sober side of me is saying that if I give in to this "one night", I'll do it again. Starting Monday I am truly focused on my sobriety.......I know I should be now as well.

This is so hard! Last few days I had good excuses not to drink......I had to work, and I other responsibilities.........now it's a Friday night, I have NOTHING to do tomorrow, no responsibilities....................only AA meeting I could have gone to is almost over.........

This night could really go two ways..............ugh. I swear Bacardi is just calling my name. I wish 10pm would hurry up and get here as I don't have any alcohol and the liquor stores close at 10............

Advice?

Thanks

Donnylutz...............
Old 05-11-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI and welcome Donnylutz

Congratulations on your 3 days

You could do a whole lot worse than stick close to SR this weekend - I spent my first few weekends that way....

and hit a meeting or two this weekend if you're an AA guy - they have online meetings too I know - maybe they have some late night ones?

good to have you with us

D
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah...Hang around here till 10 and tell us about yourself...Welcome to SR Donny.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't they have a meeting here at 9:00 Dee?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello....thanks for all the responses

Is their really meetings on this site? That would be so helpful, though just the back and forth with all of you here will be well.

Donnylutz
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe there's a meeting tonight
It's not an AA meeting - but the chat room looks pretty healthy right now

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah...Check it out...They just talk about recovery...Can't get into trouble there.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Donnylutz

Bacardi's siren call can be very enticing, but it will only get worst if you fall for it. It gets easier with each passing day. If you drink tonight you'll have to start at day 1 again, which totally sucks.

Yeah, stick around, we'd love to hear more about you.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Or you can hang around here and shoot the bull with us...Just don't go to the liquor store.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Donny!

Getting through the first Friday night was a biggie for me. I just stayed around here and read like crazy. After a while you start looking forward to those Saturday mornings without a hangover!

Another thing: Don't let yourself get too hungry. In early sobriety, when our blood sugar drops, it can set off a real craving.

Glad you decided to join us - things really will get easier over time!
Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR Donny.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it through the weekend....not sure how. AA meetings and my best friend keeping me distracted really helped. Can't believe how long a sober weekend actually lasts!........starting to realize how much time we lose thinking about getting drunk, getting drunk, and then feeling like crap afterwards. So not worth it....

Going to my first out-patient treatment tonight and really looking forward to it. I have two weeks off from work.....which scares me as it gives me a lot of free time....but after sending a drunk email to your boss at 2am saying you are a drunk and have to quit........they tend to want you to have some time

So.....breakfast, gym, then AA.

Have another question for you.......my friend I rarely see anymore is coming into town tomorrow. He smokes weed daily. I've never been a huge fan of weed but tend to have some when he is around. It's probably been close to a year since I've had any, and once he leaves on Thursday I probably wouldn't have any until next year when I see him again.......should I say no to it? I know it's a drug so I feel like I should avoid it, but I'm massively addicted to caffeine and I'm SO not ready to give that up. LOL Just don't see marijuana as a problem as I have absolutely no addiction to it......

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Donnylutz...
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

I stopped replacing one drug for another, it never did me any good and always led me back to drinking.

Best wishes,
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the weekend.

I think I needed to make big changes in my life in order to stay sober.

In my opinion, substituting one substance for another isn't the way to recover.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stick with the caffeine for now...Let your brain clear up for a bit. Nice job making it through the weekend....You did that without getting high...Why screw up a good thing. Take him to a meeting with you instead.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

a lil bout me: back in about 2001, i got introduced to crack. i drank, smoked crack, smoked pot, and took anything else that came around. i hit a severe low about 1 1/2 years later. i crashed my truck, got fired froma very good job and got evicted in one week. i sought help. started goin to NA meetings. the fog started lifting and the thought that if i get back to work, it will help me. i recall people telling me that aint gonna help, but what did they know???.
i got another job, went from 7 meetings a week down to 1 in 2 weeks. then i had the absolutely brilliant thought that if i just dont smoke crack or take any other drugs, i'll be okay. welp, 3 weeks later, i picked up a bag of weed. 2 days later i added a 40. then it got a LOT worse.