Notices

Can the rest of the world be like Nevada?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can the rest of the world be like Nevada?

So I'm in a gas station and notice two big containers by checkout, one filled with iced beer one with those baby booze bottles. I thought this is wrong on so many levels, DUI but one. Then this lady came up behind me and comented on the booze display but bought two packs of cigs, so I'll just do my sobriety and not question my world. Beautiful weather in Nevada today, however.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I must admit tho I'm glad we have nothing like that here, Fitz.
Have a good weekend

D
Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

There's hard liquor in the majority of gas stations here in Wisconsin and we have the highest incidence of OWIs (like DUIs) in the nation. Helluva state to sober up in but on the flip side there's a ton of sobriety resources.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea it is a personal thing, time I would have picked up a few plus the cigs. Today just my head, walked away listened to Jimmy Dale Gilmore and got on SR. This is both harder and easier and I can't yet explain it to myself but dang I got home saving money, DUI, my life and the music was as good.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heading to Vegas end of this month...you have fair warning.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by omegasupreme View Post
Heading to Vegas end of this month...you have fair warning.
Any money lost in "Gaming" helps education here
Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

One of my favorite grocery stores has mini liquor bottles next to some of their registers kind of like those Point of Sale candies. It's irksome but i've gotten good at rolling my eyes at them and moving along. I don't buy candy in the checkout line so the same applies for liquor.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Any money lost in "Gaming" helps education here
That's cute, you think I have money, lmao. Grandsponsor is having a spiritual retreat. I was told to "get there" and the other stuff would be taken care of. Cant freakin wait!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thought for the day (I can only afford one)

I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war.
Albert Einstein
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drugs and alcohol are everywhere's
and destroying so many lives and does
it can? Nope.

However, for me and a program of recovery
and a Faith from Above to guide and
protect me, I can avoid being another
statistic that claims a life.

So can you.

Accepting people places and things just
the way they are was one of many lessons
I have learned in recovery.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

alcohol, taxes and profit in combination can lead down some bad roads for a community
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think, bottom line, I still looked at those bottles like a kid looks at candy. Still lots of reprocessing to do but my desire not to be an idiot outwayed my desire to be one so did come home say a prayer, listened to rock got on SR, tho not a natural 12-stepper think I'll do a meeting in the am because I looked too hard. I have a ways to go but at least I'm walking. Love to all
Old 05-11-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All gas stations in Germany sell alcohol. Mostly, because they are opened longer than the grocery stores. It doesn't mean you have to drink the booze in the car on the way home. lol
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So instead of drinking I read

Remember always that you are just a visitor here, a traveler passing through. your stay is but short and the moment of your departure unknown.
None can live without toil and a craft that provides your needs is a blessing indeed. But if you toil without rest, fatigue and wearness will overtake you, and you will denied the joy that comes from labour's end.
Speak quietly and kindly and be not forward with either opinions or advice. If you talk much, this will make you deaf to what others say, and you should know that there are few so wise that they cannot learn from others.
Be near when help is needed, but far when praise and thanks are being offered.
Take small account of might, wealth and fame, for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds.
Treasure silence when you find it, and while being mindful of your duties, set time aside, to be alone with yourself.
Cast off pretense and self-deception and see yourself as you really are.
Despite all appearances, no one is really evil. They are led astray by ignorance. If you ponder this truth always you will offer more light, rather then blame and condemnation.
You, no less than all beings have Buddha Nature within. Your essential Mind is pure. Therefore, when defilements cause you to stumble and fall, let not remose nor dark foreboding cast you down. Be of good cheer and with this understanding, summon strength and walk on.
Faith is like a lamp and wisdom makes the flame burn bright. Carry this lamp always and in good time the darkness will yield and you will abide in the Light.

Dhammavadaka
Old 05-11-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Connect the Dots Group on Palomino will be hosting an anniversary party on the 28 th of this month. Lots of eats and the keynote speaker is this guy named Clancy I. with 53 yrs. We would love to have you join us!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Clancy I. gives a fabulous talk! Enjoy!!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As soon s you drive into New Hampshire on the highway, there is a combination rest stop and discount liquor store. Crazy
Old 07-08-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
I think, bottom line, I still looked at those bottles like a kid looks at candy. Still lots of reprocessing to do but my desire not to be an idiot outwayed my desire to be one so did come home say a prayer, listened to rock got on SR, tho not a natural 12-stepper think I'll do a meeting in the am because I looked too hard. I have a ways to go but at least I'm walking. Love to all
I am the same way... Good for you for continuing to walk away... I live in Pahrump, Nevada and where the meetings are held, there is a Moose Lodge Bar across the street. When I am in Vegas the gas stations, grocery stores and even Chipotle have alcohol placed strategically for people to want to consume. There are times I have to tell my fiance to run into the gas station to get his cigarettes without me.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If observant Jews managed to keep kosher for 4,000 years amidst a world that does not, surely ex drunks can manage to not drink amidst a world that does, no?