Notices

brother is an addict

Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brother is an addict

Hi! I am new to this website and Im just looking for any information that will help I recently found out that my little brother (22) is a heroine addict. I have never had an addiction nor has anyone in my family had an addiction so we are trying to find any information out there that could maybe help. As of right now my brother lives with my mother and is not working...or doing much of anything besides using. Alot of friends and other family member have said she needs to just kick him out....but he has a son.....who is only 2 and a half and he also lives with them. My mom cant bring herself to kick out her son and her grandson and know that they will be living on the street. She asks me all the time after he steals another piece of her jewelry or pawns something in her house "what am i supposed to do now??" and I really wish I had the answer for her...but i just dont know. He admits he needs help and wants help but he had no insurance so no rehab in our area will take him. As of last night he has decided to start to detox at home. The next few days or weeks are going to be really rough...any suggestions on what I can do to help???
Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You may want to scroll down from the Newcomer's Forum to the Friends and Family Forums and post there, too.

Al Anon or Nar Anon may help you and mom (and other family members).

Yeah, tough love is difficult. That child needs a dad who is fully present. Hopefully that child can not access that drug. As a special education teacher, I know the consequences of what can happen when a child ingests cocaine or heroin. That brain damage is irreversible.

I would have also suggested kicking him out. Keep his son, but kick him out. Heroin is horrible. Hopefully none of his dealers know where he lives. It doesn't sound like your brother is even thinking of quitting, yet. I have empathy for you and your family.

I don't think I am helping you here and I am not trying to instill any fears, but your mom needs to look at things realistically here. Is there any way he will concede to going into rehab, specifically for the sake of his child?

I did a search on this: heroin rehab lancaster OH and I found information on low cost treatment. Maybe rehab is an option?

Nar Anon: nar-anon.org/Nar-Anon/Ohio.html See if you and mom can get to a meeting for support and experience from those who understand. In person support is priceless.

Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way,
Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so sorry your family is going through this. :ghug3 It sounds like he does want help, though, which is a great sign. I agree with sugarbear about getting support. Education about heroin,withdrawal, and addiction in general is important, too.

It wouldn't hurt to call some of the lower-cost rehabs..... When I went to treatment, I found a state-funded one that worked with me on a payment plan I could afford.

Welcome to the forum - glad you're here!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much for the reply to my message! At this point he says he wants help but im not sure if he is saying that so my mom will let him stay or if he really means it...i guess time will tell. I talked to my mom this morning and she has my nephew right now and is planning on keeping him till he has to go back to his moms house. Sounds great....but the mother of the child is also an addict....so we are not sure about how we would go about taking the child from both of them until they get clean. As for rehab...I would be willing to pay whatever the cost is if he is really willing to get help....but it seems most places dont want to deal with you with out insurance because they worry about people not being able to pay i guess. My mom did find a place called the refuge that will take him so that may be an option!! thank you for the help and the prayers
Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

naarea13

If he's serious, there are Narcotics Anonymous meetings available! Let him get there before rehab! The only requirement is a desire to stop using.....

Hugs,