Notices

Leaving my alcoholic partner

Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving my alcoholic partner

i have an alcoholic boyfriend who i am still very much in love with but I can't cope anymore with the relapses. He says he is going to AA but he has had two relapses in a week of eachother, one on the second day of our holiday which was meant to be the chance for us to get our relationship back on track. I have not managed detachment or any of the techniques I promised myself I'd try but when he relapses on holiday (we were abroad) I decided to get an early flight and leave - it felt like the only thing I could do rather than spend all either watching him drink or watching him worrying he was drinking. I have thought long and hard and think I need to ask him to move out (i pay the majority of bills at the moment so he cannot afford to live in our flat on his own). I feel bereft at the idea but I don't think he's hit his rock bottom and I am just propping him up. I think me leaving our holiday may have shocked him but not enough. Am I kidding myself that us breaking up might help him get sober and maybe save our relationship? I would really appreciate some advice as to what boundaries I should set.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could a mod please move this to the friends and family section?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, I didn't realise I'd posted in wrong area.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

You're fine, Anon..... We do have a section for Family/Friends where you'll find people who are going through the same thing you are:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

A lot of people introduce themselves here - so no worries - everyone's welcome and we're glad to have you with us!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have not posted in the wrong area at all. Sorry for the comment.

You are in a tough position and I hope that you can find a way to get through this. AlAnon can be very helpful.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anon, alcoholism is a desease and for me nobody in the world but myself could have stopped me from drinking. Unfortunatly alcohol consumed me and nothing was as important. I think Alnon for you would be a good choice.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anon12, I'm sorry for the way I handled that, I should have told you that there was a friends and family section and where to find it.

I apologize for the insensitive and unskillful way I handled that.

Your friend,