Notices

I can almost taste that first sip

Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can almost taste that first sip

I woke up this morning wanting to drink. I've stayed busy all day and all night but I still want a glass ok maybe a bottle of wine. Stores here are closed so no worries, but the thoughts that have gone through my head today have been all over the map! I sure hope these days don't come back to back to back!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

They don't. Well done on getting through tonight. Tomorrow will be better
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Those thoughts are typical in the early days, butterflies. Just hang in there .. do you have things that can distract you? I.e., exercise, journaling, other hobbies, favorite TV shows, etc? That really helps. Its very easy to get into your head during early sobriety, but that's just your addiction talking to you and trying to persuade you to feed it. Anything you can do to distract yourself right now - especially with things you enjoy - will be beneficial. We've all been there ... trust me when I tell you it will pass.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't truly enjoy the taste, I wanted the effect.

Today, NO WAY! It's just not worth it.

Stay strong and sober!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try to see your truth with drinking.

"Let's look at the record", an AA speaker said today. (Mark H.)

Honesty is part of step one.

What's your truth with drinking?

If yours is anything like mine...we have no business drinking.

You say you woke up this morning wanting to drink.

We have warped our minds with an obsession for destructive drinking.

This idea comes from the program of AA.

Have you ever heard of it?

I could help you get started listening to step one workshop if you are open to it.

It may be helpful.

Come on over to the alcoholism 12 step forum and listen to the step one with mark h. audio recording via the link under step one step study.

Just in case it's hard to find...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ne-mark-h.html
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My house is cleaned, laundry done, folded and most is put away. Dishes in the dishwasher, weeded my backyard garden today and did a lot of planting. I still have more yard work to do and there will always be more laundry and housework tomorrow with 5 kids it never all gets done or stays done for very long! I think I'm just tired and sore from all the extra physical work of the last few days. Before this would have been a perfect time to reward myself with wine! Thanks for the support it means a lot tonight! Counting down the minutes until I get to go to sleep and tomorrow will be day 13!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know how you feel.
I feel the same way.
I would like nothing more than to have a drink right now.
Not gonna happen... but do I ever know how you feel.
All over the map. That's me too.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I keep a wide variety of zero proof drinks in the house. Tonight i'm gonna break open a fine bottle of sparkling mineral water. I drink a wider variety of drinks now that i've cut booze out of my life. I barely drink soda anymore either. I find that if i keep surprising my palate, it doesn't taste that alcohol as much.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here's a good book on alcoholism....When the thought of a drink hit me...I'd go to a meeting or read this. It got me up to 10 months.

The text of Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by butterflies5 View Post
My house is cleaned, laundry done, folded and most is put away. Dishes in the dishwasher, weeded my backyard garden today and did a lot of planting. I still have more yard work to do and there will always be more laundry and housework tomorrow with 5 kids it never all gets done or stays done for very long! I think I'm just tired and sore from all the extra physical work of the last few days. Before this would have been a perfect time to reward myself with wine! Thanks for the support it means a lot tonight! Counting down the minutes until I get to go to sleep and tomorrow will be day 13!
You know I had to laugh when I read this.

My sponsor told me "we're doing the dishes, but the house is on fire"...

She just said this to me, when I expressed that I put alot of energy into many things.

The point is just because we are busy, doesn't mean we are not ignoring the elephant in the room.

If you are feeling like you need a drink, want to drink....who cares about the house.

What are you doing to take care of why you want something to change the way you feel?

Why is wine still a "reward" to you?

Is it a reward to you?

I am not hearing that wine is something that really harmed you. If you think it's still an option, a reward...that may be an indicator that you cannot differentiate the true from the false.

That's the problem.

Take away the drinking, and there we are, still wanting a drink, because we can't stand how we feel sober.

It's like yeah, our house is clean, but we are not working on ourselves...just exterior things.

If you experience another day of cravings...best to put the fire out, not wash the dishes.

You've got to treat the alcoholism first.

I have strong women in recovery that I can call to help me.

It takes me awhile sometimes to pick up the phone.

But when I do...I learn and get some help trying to find my way.

I hope you will reach out to some women of AA in your area.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been going to meetings but, I don't have enough time without kids to do it everyday. That is why I have found it so helpful to come here as often as I can. I also have other friends who have been in recovery for years who have been a great support. I have the AA app downloaded on my phone, keeping count for me sometimes it has helped just to see how many hours it has been!

I wouldn't consider wine a reward now, otherwise I would be drinking it right now. Now the reward is knowing I can say no! I think I said before, it used to be a reward.