Notices

NA meetings, question

Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NA meetings, question

In looking at NA meetings near me I've seen that they are sometimes listed by topic like Discussion, Literature Study, etc

As a newcomer does it matter if I attend a certain topic? Am I welcome at any of them, is there a topic that is generally recommended for newbs?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can attend any meeting. The topics probably won't be advertised in advance. You just turn up. Someone will read the topic or a paragraph from one of the NA approved books and then people will be asked to share on what was just read out. If asked, you can share, or you can just say something like 'I'm new so I'll just listen thanks.'

Some meetings might have people being asked to share their stories - how they came to be in NA and how recovery is helping them.

Choose any meeting and go. All meetings have different 'flavours'. Try them all.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey deepnblue....You'll be welcomed at any of them. If the have a Beginners meeting...That would be great. Which one would be the best one for you?...I'd say the first one you can get to. Show up a little early and introduce yourself...Tell them you are new. You'll meet some incredible people. Try different meetings in different places to start....When you find one you are comfortable in...Tell someone you have met....Or the person that's running that meeting that day that you want to make it your homegroup...Then you are part of that family. It's a wonderful journey...Keep an open mind and enjoy it.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

deep, so glad to hear you are going to get support in NA! As TL said, go to a variety of types of meetings, because that is how you will get the full benefit of the program. You will also meet more people, etc, and create a wider support network.

Many times newcomers think they only belong at open meetings, and avoid the "quieter" and perhaps a bit more formal feeling focused meetings. This is unfortunate because often open meetings have less to offer as far as learning the heart and soul of NA.

I am not knocking open meetings, indeed my own home group had five open meetings to every two focused ones...one of our missions was to provide open time for newcomers. But it is important to have "quiet time" too, and get to know the literature too.

passing on speaking is always ok. I've been to many focused meetings when people with lots of clean time and NA experience said 'pass' when their turn came, there is no pressure in that regard.