Notices

Being

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being

How many people here have realised that being sober has made them closer to the person they thought they were ?
Or even someone else ?
I'm so pleased with the extras sobriety has allowed me to experience.
Does this make any sense ??
John.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

It does make sense, but I didn't get there in a month. What changes are you noticing?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Makes sense to me As they say, quitting drinking/drugging is just the first leg of this journey.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Makes perfect sense to me, John.
It's much more than not drinking or drugging for me - I love my life and who I am now

D
Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I get it John. I unburied a person I thought was gone forever. Actually, I had to grow up a bit, since I'd stunted my emotional growth by staying numb for years.

Glad you are feeling good - & it'll keep getting better.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I think I get it John.

Being sober gives me confidence to take on other great challenges in life and succeed in them too. There's nothing like being back in control of things.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, John, it makes total sense. I began feeling that way right away actually because I finally felt "congruent"...the constant internal struggle of behaving one way but so badly wanting to be another way ended when I quit. I knew then (and still know) that I can grow and learn and be the woman I want to be because I am not chained by addiction. It's lovely really. Thanks for posting
Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like someone else, a new improved version of myself. I have a much healthier mind set now than I did before I began drinking.
It's weird like I'm getting to know a whole new person, discovering abilities I never knew I had.
Quitting drinking has empowered me to be someone I never knew existed.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I find myself turning into the creative energetic woman I always imagined I wanted to be. It's not easy but it is wondrful!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to go with the "someone else" option. I've allways felt intraverted and quiet. That seems to be turning around for me.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sugarbear the things I notice have been things like not having to try to be the person I would like to be and also so much less" why me" even though I hadn't thought I wasnt that person. My wife tells me I'm not normally and can't see that side but I feel it. I guess I did grow up in the last few decades just haven't got used to expressing it.
I guess not living in deceit about alcohol and having my urges controlled by them as far as time behaviour etc gives me more to develop who I am.
I've always been a kind caring person able to look after others and did so for work and enjoyed that side but the drinking really makes for a selfish bedfellow I guess getting rid of that really does release something.
OCDDan that's fantastic I think alcohol does keep us stuck in with our early worries but being sober seems to lift another weight of.
Katrinka that's so good to hear, I can imagine how exciting all those opportunities are.
Heyvn and Soberlicious that's it.
Dee you really have a way of getting to the essence and seeing through all the words of people like me who find it hard to "get it down on paper" .
John.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Makes total sense, and I love love love the changes! Cool thread, thanks for posting!