Notices

Sobriety Is Its Own Reward...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety Is Its Own Reward...

...by Anonymous

Came across this simple truth in my reading this morning and it really struck home for me. I was feeling a little sorry for myself thinking that here I am sober but I have a tooth ache, I owe Uncle Sam, I miss my dog, yadda, yadda, yadda... Like somehow sobriety should be a magic wand that removes all the hard realities of life. Having read the above and accepting it I think starts moving me from sobriety towards recovery. Oh something else I read today, go figure?

"If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a past or future event,then you are residing on another planet with a different reality system."
- William James
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yea life sux sometimes but getting drunk because of it will not make it any better or easier.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This hits home for me as well. I use to think I drank to cope, but I think the excuse was really because I have to cope I deserve to drink. The more I blew things out of proportion, the more deserving I became.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
Oh something else I read today, go figure?

"If you believe that feeling bad or worrying long enough will change a past or future event,then you are residing on another planet with a different reality system."
- William James
Interestingly, it was a William James book "The Varieties of Religious Experience" that Bill Wilson was reading when he had his big spiritual-awakening and initially recovered from alcoholism (and, of course, he later went to co-found AA).

Here's a free online version of the book compliments of Google.

I've not read much of his work yet but hope to soon. I've heard he's a brilliant man and a gifted writer.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel you on this. It is hard for me to get off the pity pot. Been sober for over a year, but the actions of my past are baggage I still carry. Lost my drivers license for 10 years, struggling to pay bills and not being able to drive I feel helpless in that I can't help out my family that needs me there (I live hours from them). I may have to move but I didn't want to put that on my plate too soon as it will be hard for me to do so. But with each day I stay sober, I realize I may have to begin a new journey elsewhere also. I keep going to meetings because if I don't, I know I will feel really trapped then...and most likely fall into a deep depression that will lead me to terrible places.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Interestingly, it was a William James book "The Varieties of Religious Experience" that Bill Wilson was reading when he had his big spiritual-awakening and initially recovered from alcoholism (and, of course, he later went to co-found AA).

I've not read much of his work yet but hope to soon. I've heard he's a brilliant man and a gifted writer.
As I was raising my son, I always said to him, "never look up to anyone, and never look down on anyone", but when it comes to William James, I might be willing to discard my own advice. You have heard correct, he was truly brilliant, and like so many great minds - way ahead of his time.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, Fitz! That quote will come in handy, specifically everyday I wake up!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I'm checking it out. Just finished rereading Dr. Gerald G. May's Addiction & Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions, lot's of thoughts for food and this is coming from an aged Buddhist agnostic.